Main navigation | Main content
Rhonda Zurn, College of Science and Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org, (612) 626-7959
Matt Hodson, University News Service, email@example.com, (612) 625-0552
MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (10/12/2012) —The College of Science and Engineering celebrated the official Grand Opening of Lind Hall on Friday, Oct. 12 with a student open house, a ceremonial ribbon cutting and a donor reception.
The 2012 renovation of the first floor of Lind Hall provides a dynamic home base for College of Science and Engineering undergraduate students. It creates a convenient “one-stop shop” for College of Science and Engineering Student Services. The space also provides study and meeting space, conference rooms, student group offices, a CSE Computer Lab, and even a Starbucks!
This area of the building joins academic advising and the career center to provide a seamless transition for students from orientation to securing an internship or job after graduation. In addition, this area provides student study space and meeting space.
The Office of Collegiate Life brings together a wide variety of student programs to recruit and support students including international programs, student groups and leadership opportunities, K-12 outreach, diversity programs, scholarship programs, admissions and recruiting efforts, and more.
The Taylor Center—once the Engineering Library—now houses a new computer lab that is already drawing about 200 students a day! The Taylor Center is named in honor of George “Bill” Taylor, a 1934 mechanical engineering graduate, who went on to lead the aerospace and energy company Woodward Governor. Taylor attributed his success to the faculty and tutoring at the University. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have given more than $11 million to support CSE students and faculty.
A new Starbucks coffee shop draws hundreds of new visitors to Lind Hall each day. In just its first few weeks of operation, sales have tripled initial expectations.
Newly renovated offices near the main entrance provide high visibility and modern meeting space for student groups.
Student groups in Lind Hall include:
The goal of the renovation was to blend the historic charm of the building with a modern feel. This led to several unique features.
The 2012 Lind Hall renovation was funded primarily through private philanthropic support. More than 135 individuals, companies and foundations provided more than $4 million toward this renovation. The College of Science and Engineering is especially grateful to its most generous donors whose significant contributions named some of the premier spaces in Lind Hall, including 3M, ADC Foundation, Robert Anderson, Ronald and Janet Christenson, Boston Scientific Corporation, Emerson Process Management, Roger and Mary Haxby, Carl and Janet Kuhrmeyer, Pat and Tom Madison, General Mills, George W. Taylor Charitable Trust, and Schlumberger.
Known for many years as the Main Engineering Building, Lind Hall opened in September 1912. It marked an important era of growth in the college. The building was renamed in 1975 after Samuel Colville Lind, who served as the first dean of the College of Science and Engineering (formerly known as the Institute of Technology) from 1935-1947. Today, 100 years later, Lind Hall is located on one of the most heavily traveled academic walkways in the state. Every CSE student visits the building multiple times each year. Its renovation and rebirth once again marks an important era of growth in the college.