- Represent your career or degree area, reflecting your profession's attitudes, concerns and insights.
- Serve as a representative of your employer by introducing the student to your company or industry.
- Spend approximately 2 to 4 hours per month building a relationship with the student. Communicate at least twice a month and respond in a timely manner.
- Realize that email and voicemail are not always reliable. Follow up if you have not received a response from your student.
- Assist the student in identifying realistic goals. Listen to the needs of the student, define goals, assess progress, and celebrate accomplishments.
- Students are expected to initiate and maintain contact with mentors; however, some students will need coaching. Outline your expectations for student initiative.
- Maintain and model professional behavior. Define professional behavior if needed.
- Communicate problems to the program director. Notify staff if there is a change in your ability to participate in the program. (Contact information is below.)
Minimum requirements for mentors
- Have a demonstrated interest in helping a student develop professionally.
- Agree to the time commitment: approximately two hours per month, October through April.
- Be an alumnus or friend of the University of Minnesota.
Contact Ann Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-626-1802.