A message from Steven L. Crouch, Dean
Welcome to the College of Science and Engineering.
Our college has a tradition of excellence that spans more than 80 years. We have built an international reputation for top-notch science and engineering programs. Our unique combination of physical sciences, engineering, mathematics, and computer science, all within one college, provides students and faculty with research and education opportunities across many fields of study.
Throughout the years, our mission has remained steadfast and includes two major areas:
- We have a pressing obligation to educate more scientists and engineers to lead in tomorrow’s economy.
- There is an urgent need to expand research and innovation to address global challenges in energy, the environment, health care, and our nation’s infrastructure, as well as build new industries and create new jobs.
We continue to attract the best and brightest students.
- Incoming students to the College of Science and Engineering have among the highest ACT and SAT scores at the University of Minnesota.
- Demand for our programs continues to grow with record numbers of employers attending our CSE Career FAirs.
When these students graduate, they will join more than 65,000 alumni from the College of Science and Engineering who have greatly impacted our state and global economies.
- College of Science and Engineering alumni have founded more than 4,000 active companies worldwide that employ more than 550,000 people and generate more than $90 billion in annual revenue.
- In Minnesota, our alumni have founded 2,600 active companies that employ more than 175,000 people and generate approximately $46 billion in annual revenue.
Our college’s research enterprise also continues to grow.
- College of Science and Engineering faculty researchers bring in more than $138 million in research dollars to the University each year.
- Over the past five years, research by our college’s faculty has generated 637 invention disclosures, 128 patents and 18 start-up companies.
Despite all of these successes, we need to continue improving. I am confident that our dynamic past will be preserved in our future. I hope you will join us on the journey.