Stimulate your mind, broaden your perspectives, and get a boost for your future career. A variety of undergraduate research opportunities are available at the University of Minnesota tailored to your specific interests. You'll work directly with College of Science and Engineering faculty members on new discoveries in state-of-the-art facilities.
Conduct life-changing research even before you get your degree
Undergraduate students in the College of Science and Engineering are:
- Exploring ways to make motor oils from renewable sources
- Deciphering radio emissions from distant galaxies
- Developing medical devices for surgical patients
- Analyzing how to make computer storage more efficient
- And taking part in dozens of other cutting-edge research projects
What do you want to research?
- Play a role in new discoveries
- Apply what you’ve learned in class
- Work side by side with faculty researchers
- Use state-of-the-art research equipment
- Get a boost toward a future career in research or industry
- Earn while your learn
- UROP: Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program: More than 200 CSE students each year work on research projects in every department. Pays up to $1,700 for salary and expenses.
- Summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU): Several College of Science and Engineering academic departments offer research opportunities in specific research areas.