CharFac is operating as follows:
- Full access to labs is granted to the CharFac scientific staff (lab managers) and includes analytical services for simple/routine work, as well as more substantial, collaborative work and instrument and lab maintenance
- Hands-on access by one of three initial routes:
- UMN researchers from the College of Science and Engineering (CSE) can submit the standard web form for re-accessing campus labs and should include a request for CharFac access in the appropriate field of the web form.
- If a UMN user has already submitted the previous UMN web form without requesting CharFac access (i.e., has done so for one's departmental labs but not CharFac), or if the requester is from another UMN college (i.e., not CSE), then please resubmit to the same web form engine, requesting access to specific CharFac site(s)/room(s) in the web form; but route to haugs001 as dept approver (which then goes to the CSE Research Associate Dean for final approval and notification of CharFac). Please DO NOT send emails to anyone for these purposes.
- Non-UMN users, or other technical personnel needing laboratory access (e.g., instrumentation service engineers), may request access by emailing email@example.com.
- User training is possible on SOME instruments but not others. Please contact the pertinent lab manager(s) to discuss what may be possible BEFORE initiating the approval-chain process for working in the facility. If there is a pressing need for specific data on a small number of samples, the most responsible approach is to engage our experts to get the work done. (Please work with us.) If, in discussion(s), it is decided that training is appropriate and doable, then please summarize these discussions in the submitted U web form requesting access to CharFac
- As always contact the lab managers for more specific information on the system(s) sought. Web-based scheduling is performed by CharFac staff by default. If receiving a specific exception (i.e., allowance to directly reserve time on a specific instrument while notifying a specific staff member), please recognize and remember that the privilege ONLY applies to the specific exception.
- Some very brief in-person assistance may be possible under appropriate physical distancing, but lengthier assistance sessions may need to be provided remotely where possible.
Continuing during reduced operations, if you have questions about processing or interpreting your data, or describing our systems for a paper, dossier or thesis, please email us. We can also arrange a phone call or a Zoom or Skype session to help with data processing software.
With the ever-evolving situation, we will continue to push updates out to you as we receive them through email and our web page. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we all do our part to support our entire community.