Anderson Innovation Labs safety
We take safety extremely seriously in the Anderson Student Innovation Labs. Access to the resources in the innovation labs is a privilege, not a right, and staff can take away your access if you fail to comply with safety rules. Safety rules for specific equipment will be covered in separate training classes.
The following safety rules apply at all times in every innovation lab:
- Closed-toe shoes are always required.
- While working in any clearly marked shop area, follow this dress code:
- Wear safety glasses
- Tie long hair into a bun
- Roll up long sleeves
- Remove jewelry and accessories such as rings, watches, necklaces, headphones, scarves, neckties, bracelets, hoop earrings, etc.
- Remove gloves
- Only use equipment you have been trained to use, even if you have prior experience using the equipment from somewhere else. Follow all safety rules specific to each machine as taught in safety training classes.
- Always use the buddy system; never work alone. Staff will be present during all open hours, but you will need a buddy if you come in after hours.
- Food is only allowed in designated eating areas. Drinks with lids are allowed anywhere except for designated shop areas.
Safety resource locations
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
Safety glasses, ear plugs, hair ties, gloves, and other PPE is located in a clearly marked “safety wall” in each lab.
First aid kits
Fully stocked first aid kits for minor injuries are clearly marked and located near the entrance of each lab.
Automated external defibrillators (AEDs)
The nearest AED cabinet locations for the Anderson Innovation Labs facilities are:
- Student Design Lab - Mechanical Engineering 1100
- Student Shop - Civil Engineering 122
- Student Machine Shop - Mechanical Engineering L146 or Ackerman Hall 117
- Exceed Lab - Keller Hall 3-180
Safety data sheets (SDS)
It is your right to know about any potentially hazardous materials in the Anderson Innovation Labs. The SDS are clearly marked and located near the entrance of each lab.
Fire extinguishers are clearly marked and located in each lab.