Transfer students FAQ

Am I considered a transfer student?

  • A transfer student is someone who has previously enrolled in any course for college credit after graduating from high school.
  • If you are a high school student and are enrolled in PSEO, College in the Schools, or AP/IB courses, you will still be considered a freshman in the College of Science and Engineering.

Will I finish my degree on time?

  • Experience shows that transfer students do well academically and finish on time with strong GPAs.
  • How soon you graduate depends on your transfer credits and course load, but all majors are designed to be completed in four years. Check out your major's four-year plan to see the course prerequisites and sequences. Your academic advisor will also work with you to plan your coursework.

How will my education help me reach my career goals?

  • Our academic programs prepare students for tomorrow’s careers.
  • You will learn technical skills and develop essential workplace skills such as teamwork and communication through project-based learning and hands-on labs.
  • Our large alumni network and many industry partners lead to exceptional opportunities for internships, mentoring, advising, and careers.
  • The CSE Career Center offers career services and hosts two large career fairs each year just for science and engineering students.
  • Our degree programs in engineering, computer science, and the physical sciences prepare you for high-demand careers.

Are scholarships available to transfer students?

  • There are scholarships exclusively for incoming transfer students.
  • Once enrolled, transfer students are eligible for the same scholarships as all other students at the University of Minnesota.
  • The One Stop Student Services website has more information on scholarships.

Will I feel connected in a big university?

  • You’ll be invited to a welcome reception for College of Science and Engineering transfer students in the spring.
  • Get connected right away in the CSE Transfer House, a Living Learning Community located in Yudof Hall that is open to all transfer students admitted to the College of Science and Engineering.
  • With more than 75 student groups in CSE and hundreds University-wide, you’ll quickly find your niche on campus.

What support services are available?

  • Many support resources are offered through the college and University, including the Smart Learning Commons, Disability Resource Center, and the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence.

Where can I learn more about the College of Science and Engineering?

  • This website has much more about the college – academic advising, career services, student engagement opportunities, and more.
  • Visit campus – it’s the best way to learn about the college. Schedule a campus visit.

If you have additional questions, contact Dave Finlayson, College of Science and Engineering transfer admissions counselor, at