Required Application Materials
Description of Required Application Materials
Electronic Application submitted for one of the following:
Ph.D. Degree Program
Master's Degree Program
List of Advanced Mathematics Courses
The School of Mathematics requires that you provide a list of the advanced mathematics courses you have taken to be uploaded in the Mathematics tab of the application. The information provided by this list is in addition to the information on your transcripts.
- List the advanced mathematics courses you have taken. These are courses beyond calculus, introductory differential equations, and introductory linear algebra, etc. It is expected that applicants have had year-long courses in both abstract algebra and rigorous analysis. Applicants without this preparatory coursework are expected to have exceptional strength in other areas.
- For each course list the texts used and which parts of them were covered.
- Clearly state the source and content of the listed coursework.
- Include self-directed reading that was completed outside of formal coursework.
Transcripts from all Universities and Colleges attended.
Unofficial transcripts or academic records are to be uploaded directly to the Academic History tab of the application. We ask that you not mail physical copies of your transcript to the department. Official transcripts are not a required application material.
If you are admitted and choose to matriculate you will be asked to submit official transcripts or academic records before enrolling at the University of Minnesota.
Proof of English language proficiency, for students for whom English is not their first language
Unofficial test scores are to be uploaded in the Test Scores tab of the application.
The TOEFL exam is the preferred test of the School of Mathematics. Official TOEFL scores must be sent electronically from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the University of Minnesota. The ETS institution code for the Twin Cities and Rochester campuses is 6874.
A Personal Statement of your purpose and goals is to be uploaded under the statements section of the Materials tab of the application.
- If you are applying to Master's Degree with Emphasis in Industrial Applied Mathematics Program or the Master's Degree with Emphasis in Mathematics Education Program please specify the program in the first line of this statement.
- Other statements are not required, but will be considered if submitted.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
Add 3 recommenders to the Recommendations tab of the Application
- Typically these recommenders are mathematicians with whom you've been involved in advanced coursework or research projects.
- Only letters from those listed by the applicant on the application will be accepted. Letter writers will receive a notification from the application system with instructions on uploading their letters. If a recommender is having difficulties with the application system, they should reach out directly to Caitlin Knight at email@example.com for assistance.
$75 Application Fee is required to submit the application
Description of Optional Application Materials
Publications and articles may be uploaded under the Other Materials section of the Materials tab of the application.
If you would like to be considered for nomination for a Diversity of Views and Experiences (DOVE) Fellowship, we recommend writing and including a Diversity Statement that is in line with the guidance given on the Fellowship website.
Please do not submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores. We do not use the GRE scores, neither the general nor the math subject, as part of the evaluation of applications to our graduate programs.