The Anderson Student Innovation Labs are open to all people affiliated with or working on projects connected to the College of Science and Engineering (CSE). There are three labs, each with different access rules and each having its own set of equipment with different access rules.
Access to the innovation labs
Access to the Anderson Innovation Labs falls into the following categories: open or closed hours.
During open hours, anyone affiliated with CSE is welcome to be in the innovation labs.
During closed hours, only someone who has been granted 24/7 U Card access may be in the innovation labs.
Student Design Lab 24/7 access training
To get 24/7 access, first sign the Student Design Labs 24/7 Access Agreement electronic form. Then come to the Student Design Lab during open hours and ask a student worker for a 20-minute orientation session.
Student Shop 24/7 access training
Student organizations may contact the lab manager Ben Guengerich to request access for their members.
Student Machine Shop 24/7 access training
Access to innovation labs equipment
Equipment is grouped into one of the three following categories based on safety and complexity: green (no training required), yellow (training required for after-hours use), and blue (training required).
For information about training sessions on specific machines, visit the Anderson Innovation Labs equipment web page.
Examples of green equipment include desktop 3D printers, hand tools, and computers.
- During open hours, anyone may access this equipment without training. For more complicated equipment, tutorials are available on the Anderson Innovation Labs equipment web page. Staff is available to help if necessary.
- During closed hours, anyone with 24/7 U Card access may use any green equipment in that innovation lab without training.
Examples of yellow equipment include laser cutters.
- During open hours, anyone may access this equipment without training. Tutorials are available on the Anderson Innovation Labs equipment web page. Staff is available to help if necessary.
- During closed hours, additional machine training is required before after-hours access is granted with 24/7 U Card access.
Examples of yellow equipment include production 3D printers, CNC router, lathe, and bandsaw.
- During open hours, anyone may access this equipment after completing a basic shop safety training followed by machine training.
- During closed hours, super users* may access in some circumstances.
*Super users are people who have been given extra access to the Anderson Innovation Labs. In general, a super user can supervise regular users during closed hours as if a staff member were present. Anyone can become a super user by demonstrating their expertise of the equipment and their knowledge of the policies that govern the Anderson Innovation Labs.