CSE volunteer opportunities
Mentor a student
Hundreds of alumni and industry professionals join the CSE Mentor Program each fall to help current students transition from college to the workplace. The program runs from October through mid-April. Registration will open in August. Learn more about the CSE mentor program.
Enrich the student experience
Volunteer your time or professional expertise in supporting student programs and events.
- Help our CSE Career Center office by sharing your insight about your industry as part of a panel, a careers class guest speaker, or one-on-one with students. Complete the volunteer interest form and indicate how you may be able to help.
- Help the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Initiative by supporting the record-breaking number of women enrolled in CSE. The WISE Initiative acts as a resource, promotes inclusion and diversity, and builds and strengthens community within the college. Please complete the WISE Initiative interest form to learn more about volunteer opportunities and social events specifically designed for CSE women.
Join the award-winning CSE Alumni Society
Membership to the CSE Alumni Society is free when you join the University Alumni Association. Be sure to indicate that you graduated from the College of Science and Engineering. New graduates get a free one-year membership in the University Alumni Association.
Join the CSE Alumni Society Board
The CSE Alumni Society Board serves in an advisory capacity to the Dean of the college in matters concerning CSE alumni. They work to plan and execute alumni events (i.e. company site visits, networking receptions, and lectures) as well as s well as promote activities and programs to foster an ongoing affiliation between alumni and the college. To learn more about the Board and how to get involved, contact Joelle Larson, Director of Alumni Relations, (612) 626-1802, email@example.com.
Ensure that your local elected officials understand the importance of the University of Minnesota to the Twin Cities. Participation is easy and offers various levels of commitment from writing a letter, to sharing your story. Support the University’s legislative and funding requests by joining the Legislative Action Network.
Recruit future CSE students
The Office of Admissions and the University of Minnesota Alumni Association have launched an Alumni Ambassador Program to help recruit the best and brightest to the University. Visit the Alumni Ambassador Program website to learn more about how you can help.
Community and STEM volunteer opportunities
The Science Museum of Minnesota seeks volunteers:
- School Group Greeter. Meet and greet our school groups as well as help supervise their lunch times. Tuesday-Fridays, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Visitor Services Volunteer. Meet and greet our visitors as they enter into the lobby and the exhibit entrance. Weekday and weekend shifts available.
- Interpreters. Interpret content knowledge at the RACE: Are We So Different? exhibit on the floor with our visitors. Weekday and weekend shifts available.
- Experiment Gallery Interpreter. Interpret Content knowledge in the areas of chemistry, physics and math. Weekend shifts available.
- Collectors’ Corner Volunteer. Help visitors expand their knowledge of the natural world. Visitors bring in objects from nature and make trades with the Collectors’ Corner. Weekend shifts available.
- Dinos and Fossils Interpreter. Share content knowledge about dinos and fossils. Weekend shifts available.
- Preschool Playdates Program Volunteer. Share with our youngest visitors STEM activities. Tuesdays 9:30-noon.
Is your organization in need of volunteers?
If you are interested in recruiting volunteers for your organization, complete the CSE volunteer recruitment form. We will help you publicize your needs.