Step-by-step instructions for scheduling a career event
The first step of planning your information session for science and engineering students at the University of Minnesota is requesting a “Career Event” in GoldPASS, our online recruiting database. This allows you to post any job, internship, or co-op, as well as additional event details in one location. Register by visiting the GoldPASS website.
Once you have completed this important step, you are ready to reserve a room, promote your event, and order food.
Registering your event
GoldPASS allows you to request an information session directly through the system. After logging into GoldPASS, hover over the “Career Fairs/Events” tab and select “Request New Info Session or Event.” You will then be prompted to fill out appropriate fields.
- In the “Requests/Additional Information” section, please note whether you want our office to schedule a classroom or if you will schedule a room yourself in the Coffman Student Union.
- In the “Student Description” section, avoid simply posting a company or job description. Students want to know who you are as a company, what you will be talking about, and if food will be provided.
Reserving a room
We can sponsor a classroom request on your behalf. If selecting this option, be aware that there is more availability during evening hours due to classroom use during the day. Also, food options are more limited in classrooms.
Note: The College of Science and Engineering Career Center is happy to sponsor classroom space, however, we request that you return the space to the original set-up. Please leave the classroom in good condition by removing food boxes and trash to the hallway trash cans. Remove extra materials and handouts from the room.
Reserve a room directly with the Coffman Student Union. If you choose this option, please send event details to the College of Science and Engineering Career Center so we can promote your event.
Coffman Student Union contact:
Coffman Student Union Reservations website
The College of Science and Engineering Career Center can help promote your information session in a variety of ways. We also recommend that employers do additional promotions to build awareness with students. As soon as you have the date, room, and time confirmed, email a short description of the event to the College of Science and Engineering Career Center at email@example.com, and we will begin promotion.
Sandwiches or pizza are allowed in classrooms. If you use University Catering for catering, they will take care of a food permit for you.
All other catering companies (such as Pizza Hut, Jimmy John’s, etc.) require completion of a food permit. This can be found at the Department of Environmental Health and Safety website (PDF).
More promotional ideas
Other ways to promote your events include:
- Send a targeted email to students in GoldPASS
- Create a customized info session flyer for us to post around campus for you
- Reach out directly to student groups for promotional assistance. See a list on the student groups web page.