Identity-Based CSE Student Organizations
American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
Our mission is to substantially increase the representation of American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, First Nations, and other indigenous peoples of North America in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) studies and careers.
- To be a catalyst for the advancement of American Indians as they grow to become self-reliant and self-determined members of society
- To support students in science, engineering, and many other fields
National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
Our mission is to increase the number of culturally responsible black engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact the community.
- Tutoring services
- Resources to assist in our members’ professional and academic development
Mentoring opportunities to encourage youth to consider careers in science and engineering fields
Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
We envision a world where all members of the STEM community can pursue their work in a safe and supportive environment that celebrates their contributions and differences. Students of all areas of study and identities may join!
- Foster community and visibility for LGBTQIA+ students, faculty, staff, and professionals at the University of Minnesota
- Create a community of support at the University
- Identify, address, and advocate for the needs of LGBTQIA+ students in the STEM fields
- Educate, empower, and provide professional development
Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE)
Our mission is to prepare Asian heritage scientists and engineers for success in the global professional world. We strive to celebrate diversity on campus and in the workplace and provide opportunities for members to make contributions to their local communities. Membership is open to men and women of all ethnic backgrounds.
- Leadership and mentorship development
- SASE Labs, a program to create and innovate technology
SASE junior high school mentoring initiative
Science and Engineering Student Board (SESB)
The Science & Engineering Student Board is the student governing body for the College of Science and Engineering.
To provide resources, support, community, and advocacy for students and student groups by fostering a network of leaders within CSE and between colleges.
- Student Group Relations
- Diversity and Inclusivity Committee
- Members organize events and discussions throughout the school year to create awareness and address the different issues affecting diversity.
- Ongoing social media campaign: #thisiswhatSTEMlookslike
- First-Year Initiative
- Mental Health
- Outreach and Community Service
- Academic Affairs
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
Our mission is to provide the right environment for the growth of our members into successful leaders by encouraging academic excellence, engaging the local Hispanic community, developing professional aptitude, and fostering a sense of family.
- Networking with local professionals
- Professional development workshops and speaker
- Personal and professional growth at SHPE National Conference
- Yearly regional leadership development conferences
Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Our mission is to empower women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion. We welcome students of all identities into a supportive network of members and allies who share diverse experiences in STEM.
- Academic support
- Leadership development
- Outreach experiences
- Community involvement