Future international students

The University of Minnesota considers you an international applicant if you are not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or refugee, or if you need a visa to study in the U.S.


International students can apply through the University of Minnesota Office of Admissions. Admission is based on academic performance, academic preparation, and English proficiency (for non-native English speakers).

Admission to the College of Science and Engineering is very selective and many programs have space limitations, so apply early.

Transfer admission requirements

For a listing of deadlines and minimum course prerequisites by major, visit the transfer admission requirements page on the Admissions website.

More information for:

International transfer students If you have already completed some technical courses in your country, see the CSE course equivalency guides for information about transferring credits. If your institution is not included, contact CSE Student Services at cseadmissions@umn.edu.

International graduate students See the future graduate students webpage.


Costs, scholarships, and visas for international students - See the estimated cost of attendance for international students and find information on financial support and scholarships.

Passport to the U - Find information on applying and studying at the University of Minnesota and read stories from current international students about their experiences.

International Student & Scholar Services - Connect with counselors who are professionally trained to provide information about non-immigrant visa issues for students and scholars holding F, J, H, and O visas.