Electron microscopy of beyond CMOS materials
Dr. Mkhoyan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMN). He graduated from Yerevan State University with B.S. and M.S. in Physics in 1996 with honors specializing in Solid State Physics. From 1998 to 1999 he was working as a researcher at Bell Laboratories of Lucent Technologies in Murray Hill, NJ. He entered the Graduate School at Cornell University in a fall of 1999 in School of Applied and Engineering Physics and joined the research group of Prof. John Silcox. He received the M.S. in May 2003 and Ph.D. in January 2004, both in Applied Physics. From 2004 to 2008 he was Postdoctoral Research Associate at Cornell and Visiting Scientist at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights working with Dr. Phil Batson. He joined Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science in August of 2008. Dr. Mkhoyan has significant expertise in an analytical electron microscopy, and has made significant contributions to the imaging of nanoscale materials and interfaces, including the atomic-scale imaging of crystals , nanostructures [2-3], magnetic interfaces  and graphene-based systems [5-6].
1. K. A. Mkhoyan, P. E. Batson, J. Cha, W. J. Schaff and J. Silcox, “Direct determination of local lattice polarity in crystals,” Science 312, 1354 (2006).
2. A. A. Gunawan, K. A. Mkhoyan, A. W. Wills, M. G. Thomas, and D. J. Norris, “Imaging ‘invisible’ dopant atoms in semiconductor nanocrystals,” Nano Lett. 11, 5553 (2011).
3. K. Varoon, X. Zhang, B. Elyassi, D.D. Brewer, M. Gettel, S. Kumar, J. A. Lee, S. Maheshwari, A. Mittal, C. Y. Sung, M. Cococcioni, L. F. Francis, A. V. McCormick, K. A. Mkhoyan, and M. Tsapatsis, “Dispersible exfoliated zeolite nanosheets and their application as a selective membrane,” Science 334, 72 (2011).
4. O. Ozatay, K. W. Tan, P. G. Gowtham, J. C. Read, K. A. Mkhoyan, M. G. Thomas, G. D. Fuchs, P. M. Braganca, E. M. Ryan. K. V. Thadani, J. C. Sankey, J. Silcox, D. C. Ralph, and R. A. Buhrman, “Sidewall oxide effects on the thermal stability magnetic damping and low temperature reversal characteristics of thin film nanomagnets,” Nature Mater. 7, 567 (2008).
5. K. A. Mkhoyan, A. W. Contryman, J. Silcox, D. A. Stewart, G. Eda, C. Mattevi, S. Miller, and M. Chhowalla, “Atomic and Electronic Structure of Graphene-Oxide”, Nano Lett. 9, 1058 (2009).
6. K. -H. Liao, A. Mittal, S. Bose, C. Leighton, K. A. Mkhoyan, and C. W. Macosko, "Aqueous Only Route toward Graphene from Graphite Oxide”, ACS Nano 5, 1253 (2011).