Become a research partner

We work with businesses and industry on non-sponsored and sponsored faculty research support; sponsored research from external sources; use of research facilities; and technology transfer and licensing of University-generated innovation partnerships.

The University of Minnesota's Office of the Vice President for Research offers research-related resources for the business community. Industry-sponsored research grants and contracts are managed through the Office of Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA).

Sponsor research

Corporations can sponsor research in the college’s departments and research centers. They also can join together in research consortiums, sharing the costs and benefits of research.

Contact the related department or research center for research opportunities.

License technologies

The University of Minnesota’s Office of Technology Commercialization helps corporations to identify and license technologies developed in the college. The office provides an online catalog and expert advice. Express licenses are available for many popular technologies. 

Learn about the Office of Technology Commercialization.

Find expertise

CSE faculty are experts in fields that include energy, nanotechnology, digital technologies, medical devices, transportation, environment, and more. Corporations may contract directly with faculty for consultation and advice. The department or research center can make referrals.

Contact a related department or research center to find the expertise you need.

Use our facilities

For a usage fee, corporations may access special equipment and facilities in the college. Examples include the Nanofabrication Center and the Characterization Facility, which draws hundreds of users from companies and universities worldwide.

Learn about research facilities available to your company.