STEM summer day camps for students entering 11th or 12th grade
Wondering which careers in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) will allow you to discover your passions and assure you of an exciting job almost anywhere in the world? Join in a week-long summer day camp that offers a hands-on introduction to STEM opportunities.
Discover STEM 2019
Monday, June 17–Friday, June 21, 2019 or
Monday, July 29–Friday, Aug, 2, 2019 or
Monday, Aug. 5–Friday, Aug, 9, 2019 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
The application deadline has passed and we are no longer accepting applications for summer 2019.
One week that could change your life
During your week on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus, you will experience campus life, learn more about academic programs, and explore potential careers through activities such as: lab experiments, science and technology demonstrations, campus, residential life, and lab tours, as well as lectures and career panel discussions.
Each week of Discover STEM includes a unique schedule of activities. Weekly schedules will be made available to students on their first day of camp. Discover STEM is a non-residential day camp.
Thanks to the generosity of 3M and Polaris, we are able to offer Discover STEM to admitted students for only a $100 enrollment fee, and full scholarships are available upon request to admitted students demonstrating financial need. The enrollment fee will only be collected from students upon admittance into Discover STEM (see “Admissions timeline” below for details).
Due to limited space, admission to Discover STEM is competitive. The competitiveness of admission will be based on the number of applications received and the qualifications of the applicants. Enrolling an academically qualified, diverse student body is essential to Discover STEM, so applicants from underrepresented communities are especially encouraged to apply.
- High school students entering grades 11 or 12 in fall 2019
- Demonstrable interest in a career in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Priority given to local residents who have not previously participated in Discover STEM
Applications will be reviewed holistically by committee after the application submission deadline of Friday, April 19, 2019. Students will be notified of their application status no later than Friday, May 24, 2019. Upon admission, students will have 10 business days to confirm their enrollment by submitting a $100 enrollment fee. Scholarships are available upon request to admitted students demonstrating financial need. Applicants who are not initially accepted will be automatically added to the waiting list and notified if a spot becomes available to them.
Admission decisions are based on the holistic assessment of each applicant’s academics and individual circumstances (listed below). The strongest consideration in the decision is given to academics, but no single factor is the deciding factor in the decision. In addition to academics, individual circumstances listed below are also considered as part of the overall assessment of each application, and should be highlighted in the letter of recommendation and personal statement responses:
- Outstanding talent, achievement, or aptitude in a particular area
- Strong commitment to community service and leadership
- Contribution to the cultural, gender, age, economic, racial, or geographic diversity of the student body
- Evidence of having overcome social, economic, or physical barriers to educational achievement
- First-generation college student
- Significant responsibility in a family, community, job, or activity
- Extenuating circumstances
Guidelines for recommenders
Printed on school letterhead, in one page or less, please address the applicant's:
- STEM aptitude and interest
- Maturity/personal responsibility
Personal statement prompts
All three to be completed by the applicant:
- In less than 10 bullet points, list your previous and current extracurricular experiences and interests in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
- In 250 words or less, relate how your identity and experiences have affected your ability to achieve your academic and career goals in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
- In 2-4 sentences, explain what you are hoping to gain from participating in Discover STEM.
For more information, email the CSE Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discover STEM is sponsored by