We are committed to creating and maintaining a welcoming and inclusive community of learning and scholarship by generating and maintaining support systems for all persons to thrive, especially those individuals and groups highlighted by the University of Minnesota’s Office of Equity and Diversity.
Diversity is embraced and recognized as enrichment to the overall educational experience. We strive to ensure that students, especially those from groups traditionally underrepresented in science and engineering, have the opportunity to realize their aspirations while also valuing their contributions to the daily life of the College of Science and Engineering.
North Star STEM Alliance
The North Star STEM Alliance is a partnership of Minnesota colleges, universities, and community organizations with the goal of increasing the number of underrepresented minority students receiving science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) bachelor's degrees in Minnesota. Opportunities for students in the program include:
- Funding for undergraduate research
- Leadership opportunities
- Travel to national conferences and professional society meetings
- Community activities with the Science Museum of Minnesota and the Minnesota High Tech Association
- Networking events
The North Star STEM Alliance is part of the Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation, an initiative funded by the National Science Foundation and partner institutions. Learn more about the North Star STEM Alliance.
Living Learning Communities
The following University of Minnesota Living Learning Communities are open to students from underrepresented groups:
- American Indian Cultural House
- CASA SOL
- Huntley House for African American Males
- STEM Diversity House
Find more information about Living Learning Communities.
The College of Science and Engineering has various student groups that feature multiculturalism:
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Multicultural Students in Computing
- National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
Learn more about CSE student groups.
Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence
The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE) promotes an inclusive atmosphere to foster and enrich multicultural understanding among all members of the University of Minnesota community. The center offers a variety of programs and resources for students:
- MCAE Instructional Center with tutoring, facilitated study groups, study spaces, a computer lab, and academic success workshops
- Student Excellence in Academics and Multiculturalism (SEAM) program for first-year students to explore multicultural perspectives and topics across disciplines
- Annual events including a scholarship and internship information fair and graduation celebration
- Events and workshops tied to cultural celebrations
Learn more about the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence.