Investigator, Themes 2 and 3
Geoffrey Beach is a Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at MIT. He received a B.S. in Physics from Caltech, a Ph.D. in Physics from the University of California, San Diego, and conducted postdoctoral work at the University of Texas at Austin. At MIT, he serves as Director of the MIT Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) and Co-Director of the MIT Materials Research Laboratory, an Institute-wide organization coordinating materials research efforts across MIT. He also helped develop and launch the New Engineering Education Transformation within the School of Engineering at MIT, a cross-departmental, project-centric approach to education aimed to prepare students for the “new machines” that engineers will build mid-century and beyond. He has published >85 peer-reviewed papers and delivered >100 invited and plenary talks internationally. In 2018 he was elected Vice Chair of the American Physical Society Topical Group on Magnetism and its Applications (GMAG). His research group at MIT focuses on the design and understanding of advanced magnetic materials for spin-based memory, logic, and emerging applications. These efforts center on understanding and exploiting interfacial phenomena that provide new mechanisms with which to electrically control magnetism in nanoscale devices.
- A. J. Tan, M. Huang, C. O. Avci, F. Büttner, M. Mann, W. Hu, C. Mazzoli, S. Wilkins, H. L. Tuller, and G. S. D. Beach, “Magneto-ionic control of magnetism using a solid-state proton pump,” Nature Materials advanced online publication (2018).
- L. Caretta, M. Mann, F. Büttner, K. Ueda, B. Pfau, C. Günther, P. Hessing, A. Churikova, C. Klose, M. Schneider, D. Engel, C. Marcus, D. Bono, K. Bagschik, S. Eisebitt, and G. S. D. Beach, “Fast current-driven domain walls and small skyrmions in a compensated ferrimagnet,” Nature Nanotechnology 13, 1154 (2018).
- F. Büttner, I. Lemesh, M. Schneider, B. Pfau, M. Christian, P. Hessing, J. Geilhufe, L. Caretta, D. Engel, B. Krüger, J. Viefhaus, S. Eisebitt, and G.S.D. Beach, “Field-free deterministic ultrafast creation of magnetic skyrmions by spin-orbit torques,” Nature Nanotechnology 12, 1040 (2017).
- S. Woo, T. Delaney, and G. S. D. Beach, “Magnetic Domain Wall Depinning Assisted by Spin Wave Bursts,” Nature Physics 13, 448 (2017).
- K. Litzius, I. Lemesh, B. Krüger, L. Caretta, K. Richter, P. Bassirian, R. Reeve, M. Weigand, H. Stoll, G. Schütz, G. S. D. Beach, and Mathias Kläui, “Skyrmion Hall Effect Revealed by Direct Time-Resolved X-Ray Microscopy,” Nature Physics 13, 170 (2017).
- C. O. Avci , A. Quindeau , C.-F. Pai, M. Mann , L. Caretta , A. Tang , M. Onbasli , C. A. Ross, and G. S. D. Beach, “Current-Induced Switching in a Magnetic Insulator,” Nature Materials 16, 309 (2017).
- S. Woo, K. Litzius, B. Krüger, M.-Y. Im, L. Caretta, K. Richter, M. Mann, A. Krone, R. M. Reeve, M. Weigand, P. Agrawal, I. Lemesh, M.-A. Mawass, P. Fischer, M. Kläui, and G. S. D. Beach, “Observation of room-temperature magnetic skyrmions and their current-driven dynamics in ultrathin metallic ferromagnets,” Nature Materials 15, 501 (2016).
- U. Bauer, L. Yao, A. J. Tan, P. Agrawal, S. Emori, H. L. Tuller, S. van Dijken, and G. S. D. Beach, “Magneto-ionic control of interfacial magnetism,” Nature Materials 14, 174 (2015).
- S. Emori, U. Bauer, S.-M. Ahn, E. Martinez, and G. S. D. Beach, “Current-driven dynamics of chiral ferromagnetic domain walls,” Nature Materials 12, 611 (2013).
- U. Bauer, S. Emori, and G. S. D. Beach, “Voltage-controlled domain wall traps in ferromagnetic nanowires,” Nature Nanotechnology 8, 411 (2013).