Petitioning for exemptions

You may at some time face an unexpected situation that makes it tough to handle academics and the rest of your life.

Your academic advisor is here to help you meet those challenges that are temporarily impacting your personal well-being and academic achievement. You may petition for a policy exemption that would help you face an extenuating circumstance.

What’s an extenuating circumstance?

Some typical extenuating circumstances are: temporary illness or disabling injury, violence or abuse, depression, anxiety, other mental health concerns, chemical dependency, and death in the family.

How do I petition?

You should use the online Academic Policy Petition form for the following types of petitions:

  • Add a course(s) after the deadline
  • Change course level after the deadline
  • Change grade basis after the deadline
  • Change variable credit value after the deadline
  • Increase credit limit
  • Program requirement substitution/modification
  • Swap a class section or course after the deadline
  • Third attempt of a course
  • Withdraw from a course(s) after the deadline (current or past term)
  • Other

Guidelines for submitting a complete petition for the above types can be found on the Petitioning for an Exception to Policy page on OneStop. Below are additional types of petitions with special instructions or that use a different form/process. If you have questions about what petition type best fits your situation, reach out to your CSE Academic Advisor for guidance.

Expand all

Course withdrawal using your One-Time-Only Late Withdrawal

Use the One-Time Late Withdrawal form on OneStop for this request.

Please note:

  • You may only withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline for the term once during your undergraduate career, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
  • You may not use your OTO if you have taken the final exam or equivalent for the course.
  • You may not use your OTO after the last day of instruction for the semester.

Visit the course withdrawals webpage for more information.

Move Major Declaration Required (MDR) hold

Use the Academic Policy Petition form on OneStop for this petition type. Please select “Other” as your petition type on the online form and indicate that you are petitioning to move your MDR hold to register for a specific semester.

Complete petitions must include:

  • An explanation of why you have not been admitted to your major
  • A personal statement detailing your plan for success in your future courses
  • Your intended major (whether in CSE or a different college at the U of M Twin Cities)
  • A complete list of courses you plan to take

Other information:

  • Petitions will not be approved once the semester in which you are petitioning to enroll begins.
  • If you indicate you will continue to pursue a major in CSE, the committee will conduct a GPA calculation to determine whether you can reasonably be admitted to your major after an additional semester of coursework (based on past performance).
  • Read the University's policy on Promoting Timely Graduation by Undergraduates.
  • The MDR hold will remain on your record until you are admitted to your major or transfer colleges.

Learn more about applying to your major.

Reinstatement after suspension

Use the Petition for Reinstatement After Suspension form (PDF) for this request.

Complete petitions must include:

  • All requested information on the Petition for Reinstatement After Suspension
  • A personal statement demonstrating that you are academically ready to resume coursework at the U of M along with a description of the barriers that prevented your success, your detailed plan for improvement (including changes you have already made), and a complete list of courses you wish to take the first semester you return
  • If you are petitioning to return early from suspension, you will need to explain how the extenuating circumstances that led to your suspension were isolated events that are now resolved (i.e. death in the family).

Other information:

  • Petitions received after the deadline will not be reviewed unless you provide a relevant explanation as to why your petition was late.
  • Petitions to return early from suspension—before the full year is over—are rarely approved.
  • To be considered for return, you will also need to complete an online Application for Readmission by the petitioning deadline.

Learn more about academic probation and suspension.

How are decisions made?

The College of Science and Engineering Scholastic Committee, a rotating committee composed of CSE staff, reviews most petitions. The CSE Scholastic Committee generally meets weekly during the academic year and bi-weekly in the summer. 

Your petition should be clear and concise, as you will not be meeting with the committee in person. Explanations and personal statements should not exceed one page typed.

You will be notified of a decision within two weeks of submitting your petition. There is no guarantee of approval, regardless of circumstances and supporting documentation. If your particular exemption request is not listed, please consult with your academic advisor.

Don’t go it alone

Campus services offer help and support to all students. You can go directly or ask your academic advisor for a suggestion or referral.