Diversity & Inclusivity Alliance
What is the D&I Alliance?
The CSE Diversity & Inclusivity Alliance is comprised of students, faculty, postdoctoral researchers, staff, and alumni from throughout the college. The goal of this Alliance is to improve the college's climate through advancement and practice of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).
The Alliance brings members of the CSE community together to identify critical DEI issues, develop action plans, promote relevant events and trainings, implement effective DEI practices, and support DEI efforts at the department level.
What is the Alliance's Strategic Plan?
The CSE Diversity & Inclusivity Alliance held a kick-off event in fall 2019 to share remarks from Alliance members and outline CSE's DEI Strategic Plan. Featured speakers included University President Joan Gabel and CSE Dean Mos Kaveh.
- Download CSE's DEI Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Download the D&I Alliance Kick-off Event slides (PDF)
- Watch the video recording of the Fall 2019 D&I Alliance Kick-off Event
Who is part of the D&I Alliance?
The CSE D&I Alliance includes those who identify themselves as ally, African or African American, Asian, Asian & Pacific Islanders, Hispanic, Chicano, LatinX, Hmong, international, LGBTQ+, Middle Eastern, people with disabilities and access needs, parents, religious believers, Somali, women, veterans, multiracial, Indian, people with mental health conditions, and survivors of sexual assault.
The Alliance also represents every CSE academic department and every constituency within the college.
What does a "Champion" do?
- Committed to learning and unlearning in D&I spaces
- An active Ally for building inclusivity within their local spheres of influence
- Examines and addresses their own biases and non-inclusive behaviors
- Intervenes when witnessing racist, biased, or discriminatory behaviors
- Engages in CSE D&I Alliance activities and other DEI events across campus
- Champions DEI efforts in their own departments and units
- Spends approximately three hours per semester on Alliance activities
Undergraduate students: 64
Graduate students: 61
Postdoc or Research Scientist: 12
Faculty or Instructor: 67
Department and College Administration: 18
P&A Employee: 62
Joining the Alliance does not commit you to a committee. You are simply showing your support for the efforts and willingness to receive information about future events and opportunities to get involved in DEI efforts.
Several academic departments also have Diversity Committees. Check with your department to find out how you can join.