Hire international students

Approximately 10 percent of CSE undergraduate students and about 50 percent of graduate students are international. Many international students are seeking positions in the U.S. and/or their home country. Global, national, and regional organizations have an opportunity to recruit U.S.-educated international students for internships, co-ops, and full-time jobs.

CSE international students:

  • have a rigorous, world-class education that matches industry needs. CSE undergraduate programs consistently rank among the top 25 in the nation.
  • participate in cutting-edge research, student organizations, mentorships, and leadership development programs.
  • bring strong analytical and technical skills to address employers needs.
  • have experience working in diverse teams and communicating in a multilingual capacity.
  • bring a global perspective and an innovative mindset.
  • demonstrate the key qualities of adaptability, perseverance, and dedication.

Hiring CSE international students is cost-free and does not require government filing until at least 12 months post-graduation.

Note: Most University of Minnesota international students hold an F-1 visa—the work authorization described in this handout applies to these F-1 students. The small number of international students on other types of visas, such as J-1, may have different rules surrounding work options. University of Minnesota students are responsible for knowing their own visa status and being prepared to explain its restrictions to employers. Advisors at International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) on the Twin Cities campus offer general advice to employers about F-1, J-1, and H-1B visa work options for UMN international students. For information about a specific student, the student must first sign our release information. For more information, contact ISSS at isss@umn.edu or 612-626-7100.

Legal Disclaimer: This website is not intended as and does not serve as legal advice. It is for informational purposes only and is NOT a substitute for professional legal advice. Content is subject to change, and employers are advised to consult an experienced U.S. Immigration Attorney for advice and further information. For more information on regulations regarding hiring international students, visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

World map