Petitioning for exemptions

You may at some time face an unexpected situation that makes it tough to handle academics and the rest of your life.

Your academic advisor is here to help you meet those challenges that are temporarily impacting your personal well-being and academic achievement. You may petition for a policy exemption that would help you face an extenuating circumstance.

What’s an extenuating circumstance?

Typical extenuating circumstances are temporary illness or disabling injury, violence or abuse, depression or anxiety, chemical dependency, and death in the family. These are usually not considered an extenuating circumstance: heavy work schedule, family commitments, “getting in over your head.”

What are some possible policy exceptions?

  • Withdrawing from courses after the 10th week deadline
  • Changing the grade basis of the course (from A-F to S-N), rarely approved

How do I petition?

The College of Science and Engineering Scholastic Committee, a rotating committee composed of CSE staff, reviews most petitions.  The CSE Scholastic Committee generally meets weekly during the academic year and bi-weekly in the summer.  Other petitions may be reviewed by an academic advisor during drop-in hours Monday-Friday from 2-4 p.m. in 105 Lind Hall.

Petitions for the following exemptions to university or college policy must be completed using the Academic Policy Petition (PDF) unless otherwise noted.  Incomplete petitions including those without a signature or supporting documentation may result in an automatic denial.  Please submit your petition to 105 Lind Hall or to for review by the CSE Scholastic Committee.  Petitions to use your One-Time-Only Late Withdrawal or to add a course past the deadline must be signed by an advisor during drop-ins.  Your petition should be clear and concise, as you will not be meeting with the committee in person.  Explanations and personal statements should not exceed one page typed.

You will be notified of a decision within two weeks of submitting your petition.  There is no guarantee of approval, regardless of circumstances and supporting documentation.  If your particular exemption request is not listed, please consult with your academic advisor.

Don’t go it alone

Campus services offer help and support to all students. You can go directly or ask your academic advisor for a suggestion or referral.