CSE Mentor Program
Helping students build their professional network and career skills
Each fall, more than 200 CSE students are matched with industry professionals who provide valuable career information, insights, and strategies. The CSE Mentor Program, which begins in October and ends in April every school year, is one of the largest of its kind at the University of Minnesota. The Actuarial Mentoring Program is also part of the CSE Mentor Program. Students learn to build their professional network, refine communication skills, connect academics and career, explore new areas of interest, and transition to the workplace.
For alumni and friends
Registration will close on Sept. 24, 2021.
Questions? Please contact Andrea Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-6694.
As a mentor, your role is to help your student transition from college life to the workplace. Mentors do not need to live in the Twin Cities area to participate. Mentor responsibilities include:
- At least two contacts per month with your student, via face-to-face, telephone, or email.
- Attend an orientation in the fall, and closing reception in the spring, if you live in the Twin Cities area.
- Determine how your expertise can help your student in meeting his or her career goals.
- Make time available for your student.
For more information and mentor materials, mentors can visit the CSE Mentor Program materials and information web page.
Help us spread the word!
Tell your friends and colleagues about this program. All scientists, engineers, and practicing actuaries are welcome, and the program is open to U of M alumni and non-alumni. To help publicize at your workplace, download a CSE Mentor Program informational poster (PDF).
For CSE students
Registration for the 2021-22 CSE Mentor Program will open in September 2021.
The program is open to current CSE sophomores, juniors, and seniors. First-year students are asked to wait a year to gain academic experience and perspective.
Question, please contact Andrea Hanson at email@example.com or 612-624-6694.
As a student in the mentor program, your role is to set the groundwork for a lasting professional network as you gain access to an insider’s perspective on navigating your career path. This program will match you with an industry professional in your area of interest.
- You will take the lead in the relationship by identifying your goals for the program and by being in contact with your mentor via face-to-face, telephone, or email communications at least two times per month.
- Your mentor may provide you with career advice, guidance, and networking opportunities, however, they are not expected to provide students with jobs or internships.
For more information on the CSE Mentor Program, students can access the CSE Mentor Program materials and information web page.
For corporate partners
Your role is to help support the CSE Mentor Program.
- Promote the program to your employees
- Organize networking groups for those employees who are in the program
- Provide tours and/or events for mentors and their students.
For information about CSE's other mentoring programs, visit the mentor programs web page.
If you have questions about the CSE Mentor Program, please contact Andrea Hanson, Assistant Director of Events & Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-6694.