CSE Mentor Program
Registration for students and mentors is now open!
Each fall, more than 200 CSE students are matched with industry professionals who provide valuable career information, insights, and strategies. The CSE Mentor Program, which begins in October and ends in April every school year, is one of the largest of its kind at the University of Minnesota. The Actuarial Mentoring Program is also part of the CSE Mentor Program. Students learn to build their professional network, refine communication skills, connect academics and career, explore new areas of interest, and transition to the workplace.
For CSE students
Student registration for the 2018-19 mentor program is now open. You must be a sophomore, junior, or senior to register for a mentor.
The registration deadline is Monday, Sept. 24, 2018. Space is limited
As a student in the mentor program, your role is to set the groundwork for a lasting professional network as you gain access to an insider’s perspective on navigating your career path. This program will match you with an industry professional in your area of interest.
- You will take the lead in the relationship by identifying your goals for career exploration and by being in contact with your mentor via face-to-face, telephone, or email communications at least two times per month.
- Your mentor will provide career information and help you with strategic career goals.
For more information on the CSE Mentor Program, students can access the CSE Mentor Program materials and information web page. More information on will be posted on this page in September.
For alumni and friends
Registration for the 2018-19 mentor program is now open.
The registration deadline is Monday, Sept. 24, 2018.
If you have questions about the CSE Mentor Program or the registration process, please contact Joelle Larson, Director of Alumni Relations, at email@example.com or 612-626-1802.
- Mentor program orientation and kickoff: Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018, 7-9 p.m.
- Mentor Appreciation Dinner: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Help us spread the word!
Help us spread the word by sharing information about the program with your friends and colleagues. All scientists, engineers, and practicing actuaries are welcome, and the program is open to U of M alumni and non-alumni. To help publicize at your workplace, download a CSE Mentor Program informational poster (PDF).
As a mentor, your role is to help your student transition from college life to the workplace. Mentors do not need to live in the Twin Cities area to participate. Mentor responsibilities include:
- At least two contacts per month with your student, via face-to-face, telephone, or email.
- Attend an orientation in the fall, and a closing reception in the spring, if you live in the Twin Cities area.
- Determine how your expertise can help your student in meeting his or her career goals.
- Make time available for your student.
For more information and mentor materials, mentors can visit the CSE Mentor Program materials and information web page. More information will be posted on this page in September.
For corporate partners
Your role is to help support the CSE Mentor Program.
- Promote the program to your employees
- Organize networking groups for those employees who are in the program
- Provide tours and/or events for mentors and their students.
For information about CSE's other mentoring programs, visit the mentor programs web page. If you have questions about the CSE Mentor Program or the registration proces, please contact Joelle Larson, Director of Alumni Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-626-1802.