Integrated BME/MSME Program
Applications for fall semester are due each year on June 15
The BME/MSME program offers mechanical engineering majors several benefits:
- A streamlined admissions process from the undergraduate to the graduate program.
- Eligibility for teaching and research assistantships. Your senior year you will remain registered as an undergraduate, but be paid the graduate hourly rate.
- Flexibility in fulfilling required courses for both degrees simultaneously in the last two years of study.
The program makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and a master's degree in mechanical engineering in five years.
To be admitted to the BME/MSME program, students must:
- Be enrolled in the mechanical engineering undergraduate program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.
- Have at least 3.25 GPA. While this GPA is required to apply, we prefer students with a GPA of 3.50 or greater.
- Be completing their junior year and have flexibility their senior year to complete the requirements for the BME degree along with extra course work.
- Apply for admission at the end of their junior year.
For students who have transferred from another institution, at least one semester must be completed at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus before admission to the program will be granted.
Students who wish to apply for admission into the program must submit the following at the end of their junior year (with two semesters remaining before graduation) to the Graduate School:
- Completed Graduate School application form.
- Necessary application fee.
- Original transcripts from post-secondary education institutions.
- Statement of purpose including planned area of concentration.
- Completed BME/MS Combined Course Projection Sheet that includes: a) planned courses necessary to complete the B.M.E. degree requirements (the semester and year in which the courses will be taken should also be noted as some courses are offered alternate years b) planned graduate level courses necessary to complete the M.S.M.E. degree requirements (the semester and year in which the courses will be taken should also be noted as some courses are offered alternate years).
- One letter of recommendation from a full-time faculty member in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Students MUST complete their BME degree at the end of their fourth year.
- Students need to complete projection sheet showing the integration of graduate and undergraduate coursework.
Admission is once per year, for the fall semester. All materials must be submitted to the Graduate School by June 15 for admission the subsequent fall semester.
Students enrolled in this program will select an advisor by the end of the first semester of enrollment. The advisor will work with the student on the thesis for a Plan A Masters degree track.