Allison HubelProfessor, Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. 1989, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
M.S. 1989, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
B.S. 1983 Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
Scientific & Professional Societies
Society for Cryobiology
American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
International Society for Cell Therapy
International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories
American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineers
- Molecular mechanisms of damage during freezing
- Mechanisms of cryoprotection or cryoinjury
- Low temperature imaging of biological systems
- Preservation of cells and tissues
- Microfluidics and transport in microfluidic channels
|BioCor - Biopreservation Core Research||ME 3134|
|Hubel Research Group|
ME 3331: Thermal Sciences I
ME 3333: Thermal Sciences III
ME 4031: Basic Mechanical Measurements Laboratory
ME 4331: Thermal Energy Engineering Laboratory
ME 5666: Modern Thermodynamics
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Outstanding Achievement in Biobanking, ISBER
- 2013 Scholar, National Blood Foundation
- 2012 Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineers
- 2008 Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2001 Presidential Distinguished Faculty
- Pollock K, Budenske JW, McKenna DH, Dosa PI, Hubel A, “Algorithm-driven optimization of cryopreservation protocols,” J Tissue Engr Regen Med, 10: 2806-2815, 2017
- Pollock K, Samsonraj RM, Dudakovic A, Thaler R, Stumbras A, McKenna DH, Dosa PI, van Wijnen AJ, Hubel A, “Improved post-thaw function and epigenetic changes in mesenchymal stromal cells cryopreserved using multicomponent osmolyte solutions,” Stem Cells and Development, 26: 828-842, 2017.
- Yu G, Pollock K, Yap YR, Hubel A, “Characterizing intracellular ice formation of lymphoblasts cryopreserved in different cryoprotectant compositions using low temperature Raman microspectroscopy,” Biophysical J, 112 (12): 2653-2663, 2017.
- Pi C.H., Yu G, Petersen A, Hubel A, “Characterizing the ‘Sweet spot” for the preservation of a T-cell line using osmolytes”, Scientific Reports, 8(1): p. 16223, 2018.
- Yu G, Li R, Hubel A, “Interfacial interactions of sucrose during cryopreservation detected by Raman spectroscopy”, Langmuir, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b01616, 2018.