Employee Reimbursement


          Andy Carhart

Employee Travel and Expense Reimbursement

Please review the University of Minnesota travel policy before you travel.

Combining business and personal travel

Travelers may choose to combine personal travel with University business travel.  Travel must be primarily for business purposes to receive a reimbursement of transportation expenses tax-free. Travelers are prohibited from using University funds for their personal travel. At the time travel is booked, obtain a price comparison for the trip that does not include personal travel and include the price comparison with the expense report. This includes situations where the traveler has selected an indirect route or interrupts travel for personal convenience.  Before you travel, please reach out to mepurch@umn.edu if you have any questions.

Applying for Reimbursements in ChromeRiver

  • Access to Chrome River: My U > Key Links > U Travel > Chrome River
  • Reimbursements must be requested within 60 days of the expense date or trip return date.  Late reimbursements are treated as taxable income.
  • Receipts are not required to request per diem for meals and incidentals.
  • Receipts are required for all other expenses greater than $25.  If you do not have a receipt, you may complete the statement in lieu of receipt form
  • ChromeRiver helpful hints 


Other Travel-Related Polices: