James Van de VenRichard and Barbara Nelson Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. 2006, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota
B.S. 2001, Mechanical Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2016 – present
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2011 – 2016
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2007 – 2011
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, NSF ERC for Compact and Efficient Fluid Power, University of Minnesota, 2006 - 2007
Jim Van de Ven’s expertise is in machine design, kinematics, dynamics, and model driven design of fluid power systems. His research interests are in efficient energy conversion, energy storage, and renewable energy systems.
ME Research Areas
ME Impact Areas
Environment & Sustainability
- Applying Machine Design to Efficient Energy Conversion, Storage, and Generation
- Fluid Power
|Mechanical Energy & Power Systems Laboratory (MEPS)||ME 271|
- George Taylor Career Development Award — University of Minnesota - January 2016
- McKnight Land-Grant Professorship — University of Minnesota - 2014-2016
- Mechanical Engineering Teacher of the Year (Russel M. Searle Professor) - Worcester Polytechnic Institute - May 2011
- Mechanical Engineering Adviser of the Year (Morgan Distinguished Instructor) - Worcester Polytechnic Institute - May 2010
- Thomalla, S., and Van de Ven, J., 2018, “Modeling and Implementation of the McKibben Actuator in Hydraulic Systems”, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, in press.
- Wieberdink, J., Li, P., Simon, T., and Van de Ven, J., 2018, “Effects of porous media insert on the efficiency and power density of a high pressure (210 bar) liquid piston air compressor/expander – An experimental study,” Applied Energy, v. 212, p. 1025-1037, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.12.093.
- Cronk, P., and Van de Ven, J., 2017, “A Study of Hydraulic Hybrid Vehicle Topologies with Flywheel Energy Storage,” Vehicle System Dynamics, SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-7010, doi: 10.4271/2017-01-7010.
- Koktavy, S., Yudell, A., and Van de Ven, J., 2017, “Crank-Slider Spool Valve For Switch-Mode Circuits With Experimental Validation,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, ;v. 140, n. 6, p. 061008-9, doi:10.1115/1.4038537.
- Cronk, P., and Van de Ven, J., 2017, “A Review of Hydro-Pneumatic and Flywheel Energy Storage for Hydraulic Systems,”International Journal of Fluid Power, v 19, n. 2, doi: 10.1080/14399776.2017.1386061.