Susan MantellJames J. Ryan Professor, Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor, and Mechanical Engineering Department Head, Mechanical Engineering
Honors and Awards
- Morse Alumni Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education, University of Minnesota, 2011
- George W. Taylor College of Science and Engineering Alumni Society Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2008
- Best Professor Mechanical Engineering, 2007 (selected by College of Science and Engineering Student Board)
- Quality Mentoring Award, College of Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1994 (Nominated by students)
- McKnight Land-Grant Professorship, 1995-1997
- External Awards ASME Fellow, Elected 2016
- Best Paper award: Society of Plastics Engineers, FAPSIG, Annual technical conference, 2018, 2020
- Best Paper award: ASME Solar Energy Conference, 2009
- Best Paper award: SPIE Conference on MEMs Reliability, 2006
- Best Paper award: ASME Journal of System Dynamics and Control, 2005
- Fellow, Academic Leadership Program, Committee on Institutional Cooperation Fellow, 2011-2012
- National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award, 1994-1999
- ASME Young Engineer of the Year Award, Minnesota Chapter, 1992
- Gladen, A., Davidson, J. and S. Mantell (2013), “A study of the optical properties of a scattering, non-absorbing media with application to thermotropic materials,” Solar Energy Journal: Solar Heating and Cooling Special Edition (under review).
- Gladen, A., Mantell, S. and J. Davidson (2013), “A parametric numerical study of radiative transfer in thermotropic materials,” ASME Heat Transfer Conference (under review).
- Briscoe, C.R., Mantell, S.C., and J.H. Davidson (2011). “Buckling of a Plate on a Pasternak Foundation under Uniform In-Plane Bending Loads,” accepted for publication the International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics.
- Ali, S.M., Mantell, S.C., and E. Longmire (2012), “Experimental Technique for Fatigue Testing of MEMS in Liquids,” IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 21 (3), pp. 520-522.
- Gladen, Adam, Jane H. Davidson, Susan C. Mantell, Jihua Zhang, and Yuewen Xu. "A Model of the Optical Properties of a Non-absorbing Media with Application to Thermotropic Materials for Overheat Protection." Energy Procedia 30 (2012): 116-124.