Traian DumitricãProfessor, Mechanical Engineering
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Ph.D. 2000, Chemical Physics, Texas A&M University
M.S. 1996, Condensed Matter Physics, The "Abduis Salam" Center for Theoretical Physics, Italy
B.S. 1992, Physics, University of Bucharest, Romania
Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2019 – Present
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2011 – 2018
Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2005 – 2011
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Mechanical Engineering, Rice University, 2000 – 2004
Postdoctoral Associate, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Freie Universitaet, Berlin 2003 (six months)
Teaching/Research Assistant, Physics, Texas A&M University, College Station 1996 – 2000
- To investigate the thermal properties of nano-system
- To describe the fundamental mechanical deformations of nano-materials
- To determine an optimal equilibrium nano-structure
- Mercator Fellow, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, 2020-2023
- Cundall Award, 2020
- Fulbright US Scholar, 2019-2020
- Visiting Fellow Commoner, Trinity College Cambridge UK, 2019
- Senior Fellow in Energy, Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg (Institute for Advanced Study), Delmenhorst,
- Germany, 2017-2019
- Fellow, Ecole Centrale Paris, 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, Nano and Bio Mechanics Program, Division of Engineering, 2008
- Nikiforov, B. Hourahine, B. Aradi, Th. Frauenheim, and T. Dumitrica, Ewald summation on a helix: A route to self-consisent charge density-functional based tight-binding objective molecular dynamics.
- E. Dontsova and T. Dumitrica, Nanomechanics of Twisted Mono- and Few-layer Graphene Nanoribbons, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters (under review).
- I. Ostanin, R. Ballarini, D. Potyondy, and T. Dumitrica, A distinct element method for large scale simulations of carbon nanotube assemblies, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 61, 762-782 (2013).
- L. Tapaszto, T. Dumitrica, S.J. Kim, P. Nemes-Incze, C. Hwang, and L.P. Biro, Breakdown of continuum mechanics for nanometre-wavelength rippling of graphene, Nature Physics 8 739-742 (2012).
- E. Akatyeva and T. Dumitrica, Chiral Graphene Nanoribbons: Objective Molecular Dynamics Simulations and Phase-Transition Modeling, The Journal of Chemical Physics 23, 234702 (2012).