Workshop on Random Structures in Optimizations and Related Applications
Applications due April 30.
- This summer program aims to promote the studies and research activities on random optimizations in complex systems for Minnesota's local undergraduate students.
- The workshop will cover a wide range of subjects and tools in probability theory and mathematical physics, especially addressing their applications in machine learning, data science, and imaging processing.
- During the 10-day program, students are expected to attend two daily lecture sessions and a group problem session. Additional professional development sessions will discuss graduate school and careers in related fields.
- Upon completion, students will receive a certificate issued by the School of Mathematics at the University of Minnesota.
Who can apply
Undergraduate students from Minnesota's local colleges and universities.
Introductory Probability, Linear Algebra, and Basic Properties of Differential Equations
Week 1: June 5-9
|9-10:15am||Wei-Kuo Chen||Statistical Physics and Random Optimizations|
|10:45am-12pm||Arnab Sen||Clustering and Community Detection|
|1:30-3:30pm||Ratul Biswas||Discussion and Problem Session|
Week 2: June 12-16
|9:00-10:15am||Rishabh Dudeja||Universality in High-Dimensional Optimization and Statistics Detection|
|10:45am-12:00pm||Wonjun Lee||Introduction to Computational Optimal Transport|
|1:30-3:30pm||Heejune Kim||Discussion and Problem Session|
- A brief CV
- A short recommendation letter from a professor
- Personal statement describing scientific interests and course preparations for this workshop
When filling in the Application Form, please only select either "Local expenses (hotel and meals)" or "Not requesting funding."
The participants will receive either a fixed per diem or a meal plan to cover food. Support is available for students in need of on-campus lodging during the program.
Wei-Kuo Chen (University of Minnesota)
This program is financially supported by the National Science Foundation and Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications.