The University of Minnesota’s MFM is a professional master’s program that prepares students for a career in the fast growing and dynamic field of quantitative finance. The program's multidisciplinary curriculum focuses on mathematics, statistics, machine learning and coding, all applied in the context of finance. MFM students learn directly from practitioners, interact with alumni, and enjoy a variety of career development opportunities.
High Value Curriculum
- Learn from practitioners with extensive industry experience
- Feel prepared for the field of quantitative finance through both theoretical and practical curriculum topics
- Attend evening courses that facilitate students who are employed full time
- Study part time or full time, with an option to take individual courses
- Be part of a supportive, caring community of students, alumni, faculty and advisors
- Join the Financial Mathematics Student Association to build and grow relationships
- Make connections and take on research opportunities with MCFAM faculty and the broader UMN network of professionals
Our program is the only MS program specialized in quantitative finance in the upper midwest.
We’re situated on a sprawling campus, surrounded by vibrant urban neighborhoods. The Minneapolis-St. Paul area is known for its:
- Lively scene for dining, culture, arts, and recreation
- Abundant trails, parks, and waterways, including several lakes and the Mississippi River
- High quality of life
- Thriving economy that features a diverse mix of industries and ample opportunities for graduates
Strong Career Support
- Experience structured career support as well as supplemental attention to individual needs
- Benefit from our large alumni community as a valuable resource in your career development journey
- Explore job opportunities that fit your unique interests and master how to conduct an effective job search
- Learn valuable career skills such as resume building and job interview techniques
Ready to Dive Deeper?
Hear from our Alumni
"The instructors are great; many have industry backgrounds so they pick the topics that are most valuable from the market point of view. The MFM prepared me with the desired qualifications for my current job"
Zohreh Ebadi, Commodity Strategist, Cargill Risk Management – MFM Class of 2018
“For me, a highlight of the MFM program was having immediate access to a large and supportive instructor and alumni network… The program referred me to many alumni, already working back home [in China], who mentored me as I prepared to enter the job market in Beijing.”
Kaka Wang, Sales Account Manager, Bloomberg LP – MFM Class of 2017