Michael McAlpineKuhrmeyer Family Chair Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. 2006, Chemistry, Harvard University
B.S. 2000, Chemistry, Brown University
Kuhrmeyer Family Chair Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2019-Present
Benjamin Mayhugh Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2015-2019
Assistant Professor, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, 2008-2015
Postdoctoral Researcher, Chemistry, California Institute of Technology, 2006-2008
Michael C. McAlpine is the Kuhrmeyer Family Chair Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Minnesota. He received a B.S. (2000) in chemistry with honors from Brown University, and a Ph.D. (2006) in chemistry from Harvard University. His current research is focused on 3D printing functional materials and devices for biomedical applications, with recent breakthroughs in 3D printed neural regeneration devices and 3D printed bionic eyes (one of National Geographic’s 12 Innovations that will Revolutionize the Future of Medicine). He has received several awards for this work, including the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), and the National Institutes of Health Director’s New Innovator Award.
ME Impact Areas
Robotics & Mobility
- 3D printing functional materials & devices
- Nanoscale inks
- Biomedical devices
- 3D printed electronics
|3D Printing Functional Materials & Devices||ME 361-363|
- George W. Taylor Award for Distinguished Research (2018)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) (2017)
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS) - Kavli Frontiers Fellow (2016)
- Extreme Mechanics Letters (EML) Young Investigator Award (2015)
- NIH Director's New Innovator Award (2014)
- Graduate Mentoring Award in Engineering (2013)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2012)
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE) - Frontiers of Engineering (2011)
- Technology Review TR35 Young Innovator Under 35 (2010)
- AFOSR Young Investigator Award (2008)
- Z. Zhu, H. S. Park, M. C. McAlpine. “3D Printed Deformable Sensors.” Sci. Adv. 6, eaba5575 (2020)
- S. H. Park, R. Su, J. Jeong, S. Z. Guo, K. Qiu, D. Joung, F. Meng, M. C. McAlpine. “3D Printed Polymer Photodetectors.” Adv. Mater. 30, 1803980 (2018).
- Z. Zhu, S.-Z. Guo, T. Hirdler, C. Eide, X. Fan, J. Tolar, M. C. McAlpine. “3D Printed Functional and Biological Materials on Moving Freeform Surfaces.” Adv. Mater. 30, 1707495 (2018). [Inside Back Cover]
- B. N. Johnson, K. Z. Lancaster, G. Zhen, J. He, M. K. Gupta, Y. L. Kong, E. A. Engel, K. D. Krick, A. Ju, F. Meng, L. W. Enquist, X. Jia, M. C. McAlpine. “3D Printed Anatomical Nerve Regeneration Pathways.” Adv. Funct. Mater. 25, 6205-6217 (2015).
- Y. L. Kong, I. A. Tamargo, H. Kim, B. N. Johnson, M. K. Gupta, T.-W. Koh, H.-A. Chin, D. A. Steingart, B. P. Rand, M. C. McAlpine. “3D Printed Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diodes.” Nano Lett. 14, 7017-7023 (2014).