MSSE is a graduate program designed for professionals who are working full-time in a software development field and intend to remain employed full-time throughout the duration of the two-year program. MSSE students do not qualify for graduate assistantships. International students must have a visa that allows them to pursue full-time studies.
All candidates must meet specific criteria to be considered for admission:
- Applicants must have at least one year of full-time professional work experience in software development.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in computer science or related field (mathematics, electrical engineering). Students with degrees in fields not closely related to computer science may qualify with substantial relevant work experience.
- Preferred undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Lower GPAs will be considered with substantial relevant work experience.
- Admitted applicants are responsible for proving or obtaining health insurance and covering applicable international student fees assessed by the University.
- Early application is strongly encouraged.
Applicants should provide the following materials:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter should be from someone at your company in your management line or who is familiar with your work experience and performance. The second may be from a current or former professor or another professional colleague. Those writing your recommendation letters will submit the letters through the Graduate School Application. Letters should not be sent directly to the program.
- A personal statement that outlines your experience in the field, your career goals, and discusses why you are interested in pursuing the MSSE degree at the University of Minnesota
- All official transcripts
- A current resume
- International students:
- Proof of English language proficiency (Refer to the Graduate School for more information).
- An appropriate legal status that allows full-time graduate study in the US - this program is intended for SE professionals able to attend weekly classes in the Twin Cities campus.