Giving to CBI
Regardless of the amount, every financial gift we receive has a direct impact on our mission to facilitate, foster, and conduct research to advance understanding of computing, information, and culture.
Over the years, donations have helped in the following ways:
- Awarded 42 Tomash Fellowships
- Provided over 30 Norberg Travel grants to scholars
- Continue to make our collections free and accessible to the public
- Acquire new materials for our collections
- Provide support to host major conferences, symposia and workshops
To support general operations of the Charles Babbage Institute.
To support travel costs for researchers traveling to the University of Minnesota to conduct research using the Charles Babbage institute Archives.
To support one or more annual "travel to CBI" grants for visiting scholars to do research at the Charles Babbage Institute.
Other types of donation opportunities
Learn about the ways in which you can meet your philanthropy goals.
Become a Friend of CBI
Friends of CBI is the Institute's own membership group, providing exclusive benefits such as discount on titles in the CBI Reprint series as well as an annual gift of a recently published book or other scholarly work from CBI staff or our CBI Tomash fellows. Visit our Friends page to learn more and donate.
Check or credit card gifts
You choose how your gift is used, giving you the opportunity to see the results of your generosity. All gifts to the U of M are deductible as charitable contributions within the limits of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Make a secure gift online using your credit card.
- Mail in a gift form with credit card information or a check.
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs. Please check if your employer matches gifts:
- Search for your employer on the matching gifts page
- Contact your employer to inquire if it offers a matching gift program
There are tax benefits for making charitable gifts—and for providing meaningful support for CBI. To learn about three ways you can do this, visit the College of Science and Engineering's tax-wise giving strategies website.
Future gifts allow you to make gifts to the college while meeting your current income needs and taking advantage of current tax incentives. These can take many forms including bequests, retirement asset gifts, and real estate. Three ways to support us after your lifetime include:
- Remember us in your will. For more information, visit the University of Minnesota wills and trusts website.
- Arrange a gift that provides you with fixed payments for life. For more information, visit the University of Minnesota income-producing gifts website.
- Leave us a percentage of your retirement plan assets. For more information, visit the University of Minnesota retirement assets or life insurance website.
- To donate appreciated securities or bequests please contact the University of Minnesota Foundation at 612-624-3333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donation of materials to the Collections
To make a donation of materials related to the history of computing to CBI, please visit our Collecting Scope page or contact Amanda Wick.