How to apply
- Early Application Deadline: March 15th
- Final Application Deadline: May 1st
Starting in 2023, we are conducting short zoom discussions with specific candidates. These discussions are meant to understand better your background and expectations of the program and require no prior preparation. They do not increase or decrease your chances of admission. Visit the FAQs page for more details.
Admission letters are expected to go out in mid-March.
MnRI's admission cycle focuses primarily on admitting new students to the fall semester each year, and only exceptional applications are considered for admission to a spring semester. All financial support is for the Fall admissions cycle.
Follow the directions below to apply for the M.S. in Robotics program:
- Navigate to choose.umn.edu/apply and create an account if you are a first-time user. If you already have a login, enter your login information
- Select Robotics - MS from the program list and the Fall semester of the year you plan to begin.
- Complete the following sections of the application:
- Biographical Information
- Personal Background
- Academic History
- Test Scores
- MnRI highly encourages but does not require the GRE.
- Applicants who speak English as a second language (ESL) must submit their English language proficiency scores. Click here for what tests are sufficient.
- GRE/Language Proficiency Scores Institution Code: 6874
- Personal Statement
- Diversity Statement (required only for domestic applicants)
- All other upload areas are optional
- MnRI does not require a minimum number of Letters of Rec. Ideally, the program would like to see two or more letters from your teachers or supervisors familiar with your work. Only letters submitted from official University/employer e-mail addresses will be considered; letters submitted from personal e-mail addresses (e.g., @gmail) will not be considered.
- Application Fee (CANNOT be Waived)
- The Office of Graduate Admissions charges a one-time fee for the application ($95)
- Defer Acceptance (CANNOT BE Waived)
- To defer your acceptance, MnRI requires a one-time fee of ($1,000) which will be applied to your semester tuition upon enrollment.