Jump to section:
Upcoming Research Opportunity Grants
An Upcoming Research Opportunity Grant is aimed at supporting a large external proposal submission opportunity with a submission deadline in the next 6 months. Such proposals can be submitted anytime during the year. Each proposal can be up to 2 pages long and should include a description of the specific proposal submission opportunity, the expected multi-disciplinary research team, and a budget request of up to $20,000.
Minnesota Robotics Institute Seed Grants
Inspiration for research can come from everywhere, that's why the Minnesota Robotics Institute (MnRI) solicits seed grant proposals in the broad research areas of robotics, sensors and advanced manufacturing.
- Proposals for seed research grants that can lay the foundation for future large projects of transformative impact are desired.
- Each proposal should involve multi-disciplinary collaboration between two or more Co-PIs and can involve fundamental or translational science and engineering.
- The proposal should describe how the seed project will lead to submission of a large grant proposal to NSF, NIH or other government agencies or lead to other high impact outcomes.
- The availability of matching funds from an industrial partner will be viewed favorably by the review committee but is not a necessary requirement.
- Budgets can range from $25,000 to $55,000 depending on the number of Co-Is involved and the scope & potential impact of the proposed activity. Requests for higher amounts could be considered if proper justification is provided.
The proposal should contain the following sections:
- Cover page — Title of proposal, names and contact information for PI and Co-PIs/ Co-Is.
- Project Description — three-page document including an Abstract (<250 words), Introduction, Intellectual Merit, Research Description, Key Milestones (including external grant proposal submission), and Timeline.
- Potential Impact Description — one-page document including descriptions of:
- Future Impact: Plans for near-term submission of major grant proposals as a result of the work initiated in this seed project
- Past Work: Describe past MnDrive funding received (if applicable) and how it has impacted your research
- References cited and support letters as appropriate
- Budget for a project period of one-year, starting Spring semester 2020
- Curriculum Vitae for PI and Co-PIs, two-pages each
- List of current and pending projects for PIs and Co-PIs
- Minimum font size of 11 and 1-inch page margins
Submission — October 1, 2022 Deadline
Submit your proposal as a single pdf file (including all sections) to the MnRI Grant Email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include in the title of the email the words “MnRI RFP”. Funding decisions are expected to be made by the end of the calendar year.