Emergency Contact


Call 911 for all emergencies (police, fire, ambulance, chemical).
Note: If you are unsure of whether the incident is an emergency situation or not, always err on the side of caution and dial 911.

For a chemical release of any size, it is always acceptable to call 911.
For a chemical spill that requires a prompt response, but it not an emergency, you can also call 911 and request a "Consult with DEHS staff on call."

If you call an emergency number, notify the front office as soon as possible, 612-625-8000.

Emergency Numbers

24-Hour Emergency (Police, Fire, EMS) 911
University of Minnesota
Police Department (see Public Safety Resources)
University of Minnesota
Police Department (Non Emergency)
612-624-COPS (2677)
Department of Environmental Health & Safety:
Consult with DEHS staff on call
Facilities Management 612-624-2900
University of Minnesota
Department of Emergency Management (DEM)
Poison Treatment 1-800-222-1222
Sexual Violence Program (Aurora Center crisis line) 612-626-9111
Suicide Prevention--Crisis 612-301-4673
Yohannes Ketema, AEM Safety Officer 612-26-7259
Safety Page

Expand all

Emergency Examples

Immediately evacuate the area and call 911 for all campus emergencies. If building evacuation is required (i.e., incident could potentially affect building occupants that are not directly involved with the incident), pull the fire alarm on your way out.

Examples of emergencies include:

  • Medical emergencies
  • Fires/explosions/smoke
  • Violence, or threat of
  • Chemical Spills that present an immediate hazard to human health and/or the environment; for example:
    • Spill that involves a high hazard chemical such as pyrophoric, dangerous when wet, acutely toxic, or an unknown chemical (always consult chemical Safety Data Sheet prior to starting work)
    • Spill is large (generally > 1L) 
    • Spill involving a hazardous material in a public space such as a hallway or classroom
  • Large water events
  • Natural gas odors

Expand all

Non-Emergency Assistance from UHS

For incidents that do not pose an emergency situation but assistance from UHS is needed, dial (612) 626-6002. If calling after hours, the phone auto-attendant will provide instructions on how to contact UHS on-call personnel. If you are unable to contact UHS, dial 911 and report to the dispatcher that you have a non-emergency situation and would like to consult with UHS.

Examples of non-emergency incidents requiring assistance from UHS include:

  • Non-emergency chemical spills that cannot be safely cleaned up by lab personnel because of its chemical properties and/or volume of material spilled, but does not threaten human health and/or the environment and does not involve a serious injury
  • Mercury spills
  • Biological spills 
  • Radioactive material spills
  • Odor complaints (other than strong natural gas odors)
  • General consultation and guidance

Closest Emergency Room:                                                                                                                     Non-Emergency Medical Services:

University of Minnesota Medical Center, East Bank                                                                                  Health Partners Riverside Clinic
500 SE Harvard St.                                                                                                                                    2220 Riverside Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55455                                                                                                                             Minneapolis, MN 55454
(612) 273 - 2700                                                                                                                                        (612) 341 - 5000

Hennepin County Medical Center                                                                                                              Health Partners Como Clinic
701 Park Ave.,                                                                                                                                            2500 Como Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55415                                                                                                                             St. Paul, MN 55108
612-873-3000                                                                                                                                            (651) 641 - 6200

University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview (West Bank)                                                                24-Hour Care Line
2312 S. Sixth St.,                                                                                                                                       612-625-7900
Minneapolis, MN 55455

University of Minnesota Police Department

University Security 4-WALK Safe Walk Service

University Security acts as the security presence on campus, with the distinctive “hi-vis” green and gray uniform seen around campus, in libraries, residence halls, on bike patrol and proving the 4-WALK safe walk service. Security Monitors are given training in First Aid, CPR, and use of an AED. Security Monitors are equipped with a First Aid Kit and a portable police radio in the event of an emergency.

The safe walk service provides free walking and biking security escorts to and from campus locations and nearby adjacent neighborhoods for all students, staff, faculty and visitors.

To request a safe walk from a trained student security monitor, please call 612-624-WALK (9255), or 4-WALK from any campus phone, shortly before your desired departure time. This is available 24/7, 365 days/year.

Frequently Asked Questions

624-WALK Boundaries