What's new in CharFac?
CharFac is now partially supported by the National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI) program. NNCI support will “help scientists and engineers in diverse fields solve challenging convergent research problems.”
Support from NSF will allow us to recruit more users and therefore keep the usage cost as low as possible.
Statement to include in all publications and presentations containing/describing results obtained in the CharFac: "Parts of this work were carried out in the Characterization Facility, University of Minnesota, which receives partial support from the NSF through the MRSEC (Award Number DMR-2011401) and the NNCI (Award Number ECCS-2025124) programs".
Please visit our News page for all CharFac updates.
- Nanotechnology News - from the Characterization Facility and the Minnesota Nano Center.
- MRSEC - Materials Research Science and Engineering Center and MRFN - US network of MRSECs.
- IPrime - Industrial Partnership for Research in Interfacial and Materials Engineering (affiliated consortium)
- Other instrumentation facilities at the University of Minnesota (e.g., other measurements, microscopies, fabs)
About the Characterization Facility
- Mission — CharFac directly connects to the core learning, research, and service/outreach missions of the University of Minnesota.
- Locations — The Characterization Facility is located at three sites on the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities East Bank campus: Shepherd Labs, Nils Hasselmo Hall, and Moos Tower.
- History — Born in an NSF engineering center in 1988, extending to biological and health sciences as of 2002, presence in dental school as of 2011. CharFac has added increasingly sophisticated / state-of-the-art instrumentation, developed increasingly advanced methodologies, and extended its scientific purview.
- Interactions — Since CharFac's inception, it has a rich background of serving higher education, industry, and public outreach in many forms.
Visit the About Us webpage for more about our mission, locations, history, and diverse background serving many groups.