Darin EnglandTeaching Associate Professor, Industrial Systems and Engineering
B.S. Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 1990
M.S. Operations Research, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1994
Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Minnesota, 2006
- Assistant Teaching Professor, University of Minnesota, 2015-present
- Senior Staff Scientist, IDeaS Revenue Solutions, 2012-2015
- Research Scientist, Savvy Sherpa, 2010-2012
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Minnesota, 2007-2011
- Senior Scientist, UnitedHealth Group, 2006-2010
- Senior Operations Research Analyst, Kiehl-Hendrickson Group, 1999-2003
- Operations Research Analyst, Norfolk Southern, 1995-1999
- Field Engineer, Schlumberger, 1990-1992
Darin England joined the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department as an Assistant Teaching Professor in 2015. He teaches courses that cover topics in Probability and Statistics, Simulation, Decision Analysis, and Analytics, and provides academic advising for undergraduate students. Before joining the ISyE Department, Dr. England worked as a field engineer, and later as a research scientist. He has more than 20 years of experience in the energy, transportation, health care, and hospitality industries. As a research scientist, he used mathematical programming, machine learning, simulation, and forecasting methodologies to help companies make better decisions. His interests are at the intersection of Operations Research and Computer Science. Dr. England earned a PhD in Computer Science at the University of Minnesota.
- Jennifer E Mason, Darin A England, Brian T Denton, Nilay D Shah, Steven A Smith, Optimizing Statin Treatment Decisions for Diabetes Patients in the Presence of Uncertain Future Adherence, Medical Decision Making, 2012 Jan-Feb, 32(1).
- Darin England, Bharadwaj Veeravalli, and Jon Weissman, A Robust Spanning Tree Topology for Data Collection and Dissemination in Distributed Environments, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 608-620, May, 2007
- Darin England and Jon Weissman, A Resource Leasing Policy for On-demand Computing, International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Special Issue on Scheduling for Large-Scale Heterogeneous Platforms, Spring 2006, Vol. 20, No. 1.
- Jon Weissman and Lakshman Aburri and Darin England, Integrated Scheduling: The Best of Both Worlds, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Elsevier, Volume 63(6), June, 2003.
- Darin England, Jon Weissman, and Jayashree Sadagopan, A New Metric for Robustness with Application to Job Scheduling, in proceedings, IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing 2005 (HPDC-14), July 24-27, 2005, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Jon Weissman, Seonho Kim, and Darin England, A Dynamic Grid Service Architecture, in proceedings, IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid2005), May, 2005, Cardiff, UK.
- Darin England and Jon Weissman, A Stochastic Control Model for Deployment of Dynamic Grid Services, in proceedings, Fifth IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing (GRID 2004), November 8, 2004, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Darin England and Jon Weissman, Costs and Benefits of Load Sharing in the Computational Grid, in proceedings, 10th Workshop on Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing, June 13, 2004, New York, New York.