Sponsor a Senior Design Project
Schedule for 2021-22 Academic Year
Project proposals, selection, and team formation take place in the Fall term. Project execution takes place during the Spring term.
|10/15/21||Priority deadline to submit project proposals|
|Ongoing||Refine scope, in collaboration with ISyE faculty|
|11/6/21||Project sponsors notified about project acceptance|
|12/2/21||Senior Design Proposal Fair. Sponsors of selected projects are invited to campus to pitch your project—and your company—to ISyE Seniors. This is your opportunity to get students excited about working on your project!|
|12/18/21||Project sponsors notified of their Senior Design team members|
- Project work will take place between January 18 - May 2, 2022
What Makes a Successful Project?
- Large scope and challenge commensurate with student time requirement
- Significant value to sponsor
- Use Industrial and Systems Engineering knowledge and methodologies
- Scope includes opportunity for students to recommend a design or modification of a system or process
How Much Does It Cost?
- The financial commitment for this course from corporate sponsors is $5,000 per project to support department and student initiatives.
- Fee waivers will be considered for non-profit organizations sponsoring projects.
- Any costs incurred for the project, such as supplies, travel, or equipment, are also the responsibility of the corporate sponsor.
Benefits to Project Industry Partners
- At least 150 hours of work from each student team member
- Fresh perspective, proposals, and solutions to your important business problems
- Project Statement of Work, two Project Updates, a final Project Report and Presentation to keep students and sponsors on the same page and maximum project value
- Relationships with highly qualified Industrial Engineering students, which may lead to recruitment opportunities
- Access to ISyE faculty knowledge and resources
Expectations of Project Industry Partners
- Commitment of Industry Mentor to team
- Degree in Engineering or related field
- Reasonable responsiveness to student contacts
- Responsible for client-side organization (meetings, site visits, data, etc.), answering student questions
- Commitment to providing access to data and site
- True interest in project
- Students are highly motivated to provide real value to sponsors!
Examples of Past Projects
In 2021, a group worked with the University of Minnesota Medical Center (UMMC) to help transition its pharmacy on the East Bank campus from a manual inventory management system to an automated carousel system. Simulations suggested the switch lowered UMMC’s on-hand inventory by at least 10 percent, as well as saved the hospital system at least $195,000 each year.
In 2020, a group was tasked with developing a new inventory management system for Boston Scientific Corporation. Using real-time usage data, the team of seniors found Boston Scientific could drastically improve its demand forecasting processes and inventory management, while potentially saving millions of dollars annually and eliminating waste from products with high inventory and little demand.
Quotes from Past Sponsors
The best thing about being involved in the program is the students. It is amazing to help mentor these students right before they enter industry.Industry sponsor
Watching the Seniors solve a complex problem and the excitement and enthusiasm in the project... They were justifiably proud of their achievements and I was very proud of all of them.Industry sponsor
Being able to expose the students to our experience and learning was a great experience. I don't think the department, or myself as a leader, realized how much we were able to teach to the students, and also how much fun it would be to work with them. The students were energetic, engaged and enthusiastic about their work, which made it a great experience.Industry sponsor
I was able to learn about our processes through the students and their observations. It was helpful to have the students provide recommendations.Industry sponsor
The students bring a fresh perspective to solving a business problem using the analytical skills they have learned in their program.Industry sponsor
We were able to resource a project that I had been wanting to complete for a while. The students did a great job even after their mentor (myself) and project sponsor (the IE manager) were redirected to other areas and had less time than planned to help.Industry sponsor