Working in the Cleanrooms
New user orientation sessions are offered on the first Wednesday and third Thursday of each month at 9am. Orientations sessions accommodate up to four attendees in order to maintain proper distancing due to COVID-19. Sessions meet just outside the east doors of the Physics & Nanotechnology Building (adjacent to Keller and Akerman Halls). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Becoming a New Cleanroom User
All steps must be completed before orientation.
1. Register for New User Orientation.
- Must register for orientation, complete all courses, and fill out all forms by two business days before the New User Orientation session you plan to attend.
2. Complete the prerequisite Department of Environmental Health and Safety (DEHS) courses through the Training Hub.
Create a Training Hub guest account before accessing UMN online training.
*These courses need to be taken through the Training Hub. If you have taken them in the past through a different training portal you will need to retake them through the Training Hub before you can get access to New User Training.
3. Complete the online New User Training course.
*If you have not completed the prerequisite courses, you will not be able to enroll in this course.
- Install Badger and complete a New Member application.
5. UMN users.
- The budget string on this form will be used for your lab charges. Have this signed by your advisor or supervisor.
6. Non-UMN users.
A purchase order, UMN Lab Use Agreement, and Certificate of Liability Insurance are required.
- Please contact Nano Center Staff at 612 624-8005 or at email@example.com for a copy of the Lab Use Agreement and further instructions.
7. Fill out the NNCI facility user profile.
8. Complete the New User Orientation session.
- You will receive chemical safety training, and get a tour of the MNC cleanrooms.
- Wear appropriate clothing:
Long pants and a shirt with sleeves.
Closed toe shoes and hair tied back.