Working in the Nanobio Labs
If you plan to use the Nanomaterials or Bio-Nano labs only, and will not be using the cleanrooms, you need not attend one of the bimonthly orientation sessions (these are directed to cleanroom users). Instead, please contact Jim Marti at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your lab orientation.
Become a New User of the Nanobio Labs
1. Complete the prerequisite University Health and Safety (UHS) courses through the Training Hub
UMN Users: Go to the University Training Hub, training.umn.edu, and sign in with your X500 username and password.
Non-UMN users: First create a Training Hub guest account before accessing UMN online training.
2. Complete the online new user training course for the lab you wish to use
Nanomaterials Lab Training Course
Bio-Nano Lab Training Course (in preparation)
You'll need to achieve a score of 75% or better on the final quiz to pass the course.
3. Sign up in our user management database, Badger
Install Badger on your computer.
Within Badger complete the “New Member” application.
4. Set up your billing account
UMN users: print out a copy of the account change form, fill it out with the correct account number for billing, and have it signed by your advisor and department accounting staff. Bring it with you to your initial lab orientation.
Non-UMN users: we will first need to execute a Lab Use Agreement in with your company or institution. Once that is done, we'll need a) a purchase order to cover expected costs, and b) a certificate of liability coverage from your insurance provider.
Please contact Nano Center Staff at 612 624-8005 or at email@example.com for a copy of the Lab Use Agreement and further instructions.
5. Fill out the NNCI facility user profile. This information is required by our funder (NSF).
6. Request specific tool training by going to the equipment training page and filling out the training request form.