Working in the Nanobio Labs
If you plan to use the Nanomaterials or Bio-Nano labs only, and will not be using the cleanrooms, you need not attend one of the bimonthly orientation sessions (these are directed to cleanroom users). Instead, please contact Jim Marti at email@example.com to set up your lab orientation.
Steps to Become a User of the Nanobio Labs
- Complete the prerequisite University Health and Safety (UHS) courses through the Training Hub. For external users, use the links below to get to the Training Hub, then create a Guest Account by clicking "Internet account" on the righthand side. *These courses need to be taken through the Training Hub. If you have taken them in the past through a different training portal you will need to retake them through the Training Hub before you can get access to New User Training:
Introduction to Research Safety
- If you wish to work in the Bio-Nano Lab, you must also complete these courses:
Biological Safety in the Laboratory
- Sign up for a Badger account.
Install Badger on your computer.
Within Badger complete the “New Member” application.
- Complete the online new user training course for the lab you wish to use.
Nanomaterials Lab Training Course
Bio-Nano Lab Training Course (in preparation)
You'll need to achieve a score of 75% or better on the final quiz to pass the course.
- UMN users: print out a copy of the account change form, fill it out with the correct account number for billing, and have it signed by your advisor and department accounting staff. Bring it with you to your initial lab orientation.
- Non-UMN users: we will first need to execute a Lab Use Agreement in with your company or institution. Once that is done, we'll need a) a purchase order to cover expected costs, and b) a certificate of liability coverage from your insurance provider.
Please contact Nano Center Staff at 612 624-8005 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Lab Use Agreement and further instructions.
- Fill out the NNCI facility user profile. This information is required by our funder (NSF).
- Request specific tool training by going to the equipment training page and filling out the training request form.