Courses Through UNITE
Non-Degree Graduate Credit
You may be interested in taking graduate courses now as a non-degree student that will be used later for a graduate degree program at the University of Minnesota. Or you may be enrolled in another school and want to take a University of Minnesota course to transfer into a degree program at your school. If this is the case, you will register as Non-Degree Graduate status for courses to be used for a graduate program later.
This classification is appropriate for those students who:
- Need coursework to show on a graduate level transcript;
- Wish to take a course or two before they decide whether to pursue a graduate degree;
- Wish to take courses while awaiting admission to a graduate degree program;
Note that in all cases, no more than 12 credits taken as a Non-Degree Graduate student will transfer into a CSE graduate program.
Eligibility is open to students who:
- Have never attended the University of Minnesota or who are no longer active in a University of Minnesota degree-seeking program;
- Wish to take courses prior to admission to a Graduate level degree-seeking program (for example, M.S., M.C.S., or Ph.D.);
- Need coursework to appear on a graduate level transcript;
- Want to take courses that are assessed at a graduate or professional school tuition rate;
- Who are not registering in another non-degree-seeking option;
- Students cannot be active or enrolled in any other program, whether graduate or undergraduate, at the University;
- A new Request for Graduate Credit form must be completed and approved each term;
- All courses taken within the term are charged the graduate or professional school tuition rate regardless of whether they are taken for graduate credit;
- Consult the academic program graduate program advisors to confirm the number of credits allowed as transfer credits by the University of Minnesota Graduate School;
To enroll into a UNITE section of a course with Non-Degree Graduate status, follow the steps For Students Who WILL BE Accepted into a Graduate Program at the University of Minnesota on the Graduate Credit Enrollment Through UNITE page.
Non-Degree Undergraduate Credit
You may be interested only in taking specific courses to meet specific needs with no intention of ever using these credits toward a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota or another school. If this is the case, you should enroll as a Guest of the University of Minnesota
Non-Degree Undergraduate application forms should be processed no later than three weeks before the beginning of the term, so that the application can be processed before the registration deadline.
Non-Degree Undergraduate students may not take 8-xxx level courses without approval of the originating department.
As of Spring Semester 2001, courses taken as a Non-Degree Undergraduate WILL NOT be accepted toward a graduate program at the University of Minnesota.
To enroll into a UNITE section of a course as a Guest of the University, follow the steps.