MSME Plan C Instructions
MSME Plan C have the following application requirements, deadlines, and restrictions:
- Report your GPA as calculated by your University or prior Universities
- Unofficial copies of your transcript
- A single letter of recommendation submitted by a former professor or employer
- TOEFL/MELAB/IELTS scores, for non-native English speakers whose undergraduate institution is outside the United States.
- A personal statement describing your specific interests in Mechanical Engineering and career goals
- An optional Resume/C.V., noting relevant work and research experience.
- Please note, competitive applications to the MSME Plan C degree will typically have a GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 or higher.
- The deadline for submission of a complete MSME Plan C application is April 15 for the fall deadline. We admit graduate students for the Fall Semester Only.
- MSME Plan C students are not eligible for teaching assistantships, research assistantships, or department fellowships. However, MSME Plan C students often obtain summer internships at engineering firms within the Twin Cities area, and the MSME Plan C time-to-degree is faster than the Plan A and Plan B option (typically 3 semesters, as opposed to 4+ semesters).
- MSME Plan C students are not eligible to transfer to the MSME Plan A or MSME Plan B program, or to the PhD program, without completing a new application to the University of Minnesota which meets all of the requirements for the intended degree.
Please note, for applicants whose native language is not English, the University of Minnesota has the required minimum English proficiency exam scores:
|TOEFL||550 Paper based, 79 internet based|
Required Materials: All application materials should be submitted directly via the Office of Graduate Admissions online application. We will review your application once all of the required materials listed below are submitted successfully. Please see our department FAQ for more details on the application process.
A complete application file must include the following:
|Required Materials||Submission Instructions|
All materials and application information are submitted via the Office of Graduate Admissions online application system. Complete all sections of the application. Applications with missing materials may not be considered for admission. Please do NOT send any application materials directly to the department.
Upload unofficial transcripts or academic records directly to the online application Educational Background section. Do not send paper copies of your transcripts.
|Letters of Recommendation||
Acceptable recommendations will come from current or former professors who were the instructor for a course you completed or who served as your research supervisor. Other recommenders, such as employers, are also acceptable. All letters must be submitted via the online application. The letter of recommendation request is sent directly to the recommender via e-mail. Only letters submitted from official University/employer e-mail addresses will be considered; letters submitted from personal e-mail address (e.g. @gmail) will not be considered.
|English Language test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)||
Non-native English speakers must provide ESL test scores.
Upload your Personal Statement as "Statement #1" in the "Applicant Statements" section of the online application. Your personal statement should primarily address your interests in mechanical engineering and your career aspirations.
Only the Personal Statement is required in this section.
Resume/CV is optional for MSME Plan C. Upload your Resume/CV in the "Program Supplementary Information" section.