Tour the St. Anthony Falls Laboratory
The St. Anthony Falls Laboratory (SAFL), located in downtown Minneapolis, gives facility tours to a multitude of groups and people each year. Outreach is an important part of SAFL’s mission, and we’re pleased to have the opportunity to showcase our unique facility and ongoing interdisciplinary fluid mechanics research.
However, SAFL is a working laboratory, and ongoing experiments, classes, and workshops limit the time and personnel available for tours. If you are thinking about requesting a tour of SAFL, please observe the following:
If you are an individual interested in touring the laboratory, we host monthly public tours from June to August that last about one hour. You can sign up for those tours through the University Calendar system (link in right sidebar).
If you have a large group or organization interested in a SAFL tour, completing the tour request form (in right sidebar) is the best way to ensure a response to your tour request. Phoned or emailed requests to SAFL faculty, staff, and students cannot place you on the waiting list for tours.
While we do our best to welcome everyone, we do prioritize educational or professional groups with connections to SAFL research.
We cannot accommodate minors (children under 18). This rule relates to safety and liability concerns, and we are unable to make exceptions.
Please plan ahead - SAFL staff cannot accommodate “drop-ins” or spur of the moment tours. Please contact us at least six weeks prior to your desired tour date.
We generally limit tour groups to a maximum of twelve people. If you have a larger group, we may be able to schedule concurrent tours throughout the building, but this will depend on our experiment schedule and tour guide availability. Please be patient as we work to accommodate your group!
Our renovations have made SAFL broadly accessible, but tour route adjustments are needed to accommodate guests with mobility restrictions. Please include any mobility concerns in the tour request form.
On the day of your tour:
- Dress wisely. SAFL is a fluid mechanics lab, and you may get dusty, wet, or muddy, and you will definitely be walking a great deal. Please wear closed-toed shoes – no flip flops or sandals permitted.
- Parking is reserved for SAFL personnel only. If you require handicap accessible parking, there is a spot available near the front door. Otherwise, we ask that you park off-site at one of these locations:
- Garage: 212 SE 2nd Ave
- Metered street parking is available along SE Main St, portions of SE 3rd Ave, and 2nd St SE
- Or consider biking—we have lots of bike racks
- When you arrive, please gather at the location noted on your confirmation email. Your tour guide will meet you there.
If you have any questions, please email Clare Boerigter or call her at 612-626-6166.
Thank you for your interest in touring the St. Anthony Falls Laboratory!
Search "SAFL" to see all tours currently available
Group must consist of at least 6 people. Please allow up to one week for a response after submittal.