DISTINGUISHED MCKNIGHT UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR; DIRECTOR OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES FOR CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The research currently underway in the group centers around questions in polymer physics and microfluidic technologies. On the polymer side, current research focuses on (i) the dynamics of DNA in nanofluidic systems and (ii) self-assembly of block polymers, the latter in collaboration with experimentalists in the polymer group at Minnesota. On the microfluidics side, we have been working closely with Dan Frisbie on the development of new biosensors based on printed electronics and DNA aptamers.
- Distinguished McKnight University Professor (UMN), 2020
- NSF Special Creativity Extension, 2018
- Mid-Career Award of the AES Electrophoresis Society, 2014
- AIChE Colburn Award, 2012
- Guillermo E. Borja Award (UMN), 2012
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2010
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2009
- Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 2007
- NSF CAREER Award, 2007
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award, 2006
- Human Frontier Science Program Career Development Award, 2006
- Kevin D. Dorfman and Prodromos Daoutidis, Numerical Methods with Chemical Engineering Applications, Cambridge University Press (2017)
- Guo Kang Cheong, Frank S. Bates and Kevin D. Dorfman, Symmetry breaking in particle-forming diblock polymer/homopolymer blends. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 117, 16764-16769 (2020).
- Paridhi Agrawal and Kevin D. Dorfman, Microfluidic long DNA sample preparation from cells. Lab on a Chip 19, 281-290 (2019).
- Abhiram Reddy, Michael B. Buckley, Akash Arora, Frank S. Bates, Kevin D. Dorfman and Gregory M. Grason, Stable Frank-Kasper phases of self-assembled, soft matter spheres. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 115, 10233-10238 (2018)
- Scott P. White, C. Daniel Frisbie and Kevin D. Dorfman, Detection and sourcing of gluten in grain with multiple floating-gate transistor biosensors. ACS Sensors 3, 395-402 (2018).
- Kyungtae Kim, Akash Arora, Ronald M. Lewis III, Meijiao Liu, Weihua Li, An-Chang Shi, Kevin D. Dorfman and Frank S. Bates, Origins of low symmetry phases in asymmetric diblock copolymer melts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 115, 847-854 (2018).
- Hui-Min Chuang, Jeffrey G. Reifenberger, Han Cao and Kevin D. Dorfman, Sequence-dependent persistence length of long DNA. Physical Review Letters 119, 227802 (2017)
- Erik Werner, Guo-Kang Cheong, Damini Gupta, Kevin D. Dorfman and Bernhard Mehlig, One-parameter scaling theory for DNA extension in a nanochannel. Physical Review Letters 119, 268102 (2017).
- Kyungtae Kim, Morgan W. Schulze, Akash Arora, Ronald M. Lewis III, Marc A. Hillmyer, Kevin D. Dorfman and Frank S. Bates. Thermal processing of diblock copolymer melts mimics metallurgy. Science 356, 520-523 (2017).
- Akash Arora, Jian Qin, David C. Morse, Kris T. Delaney, Glenn H. Fredrickson, Frank S. Bates, and Kevin D. Dorfman, Broadly accessible self-consistent field theory for block polymer materials discovery. Macromolecules 49, 4675-4690 (2016).
Office: 386 Amundson Hall
- Postdoc, Institut Curie (France), 2002-2005
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, MIT, 2002
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, MIT, 2001
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Penn State University, 1999