MS in Data Science Admissions

Admission Guidelines

Thank you for your interest in this exciting program! All materials are submitted electronically through the Application for Admission. Admission decisions are communicated to applicants using this system. Please note that in general we admit graduate students for fall semester only. Only under unusual circumstances will students be allowed to begin their studies at another time during the academic year. 

Graduate admission decisions are made exclusively by a committee of faculty members from the Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science. 

A decision for admission notice will be emailed to you once your application is carefully reviewed by the department’s admission committee and your transcripts and any credentials (test reports, diploma copies, etc.) are authenticated by University officials.

Deadline for Fall Semester: March 15 is the application deadline for applicants who wish to be considered for admission for the fall semester. Late applications will be considered. However, offers will only be made to exceptional applicants, if space is available. We do not admit for spring except under extenuating circumstances, if space is available.

Applicants receiving an offer of admission will also receive from the Graduate School Admissions Office a request to complete an Enrollment Form. If you choose to accept we appreciate a notification by email as well to 

Related Links:

Application Requirements 

All application materials should be submitted directly to the Application for admission by the March 15 deadline. We cannot review your application until all of the required materials listed below are submitted successfully. Application fee information can be found on the Graduate School website. Students who may need help with the application fee can request a waiver by writing to  Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Required information: 

  • Baccalaureate degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, or related field
  • Cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher at time of application
  • Coursework must include: 
    • Two semesters of calculus (Math 1371 and 1372 or 1271 and 1272 at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)
    • Multivariable Calculus (Math 2374 or 2263 at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)
    • Linear Algebra/Differential Equations (Math 2373 or 2243 at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities)
    • Statistics
    • Programming in languages such as C++ or Python
    • Algorithms and Data Structures 

A completed application includes: 

  • Curriculum Vitae or Resumé
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Diversity Statement - All applicants should provide a statement (up to 1 page) that communicates how the challenges you have faced, skills you have built, or lessons you have learned will provide you a unique ability to contribute to the University of Minnesota’s scholarly community.
  • Transcripts
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • TOEFL (for international students)

Financial Information

The Data Science for Chemical Engineering & Materials Science M.S. program does not offer departmental funding for students upon admission. The information below on funding opportunities may help you determine how to pay for your education. 
Office of Graduate Studies Fellowships & Grants

The Graduate School administers University-wide fellowships and grants, based on academic merit (unlike a teaching assistantship or research assistantship, fellowships and grants generally do not require students to work).  Currently enrolled graduate students at the University of Minnesota may apply. Fellowships usually cover educational and living expenses, and grants usually cover expenses related to specific projects.

In addition, the Graduate Fellowship Office coordinates the application process for Fulbright Awards and supports the University's recipients of the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.


Loans are the last type of aid for which you are considered, after gift aid and work-study. Loans are considered self-help financial aid because you must repay the money loaned to you. For more information about loans, visit One Stop Student Services.

Graduate & Professional Student Loan Comparison Chart