Mikhail "Misha" ShifmanIda Cohen Fine Chair in Theoretical Physics; Professor, School of Physics and Astronomy
Ph.D., Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics (ITEP), Moscow, 1976
M.S., Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology, Department of General and Applied Physics, 1972
- Oversight Committee of the Galileo Galilei Institute, Florence, Italy
- Scientific Evaluation Committee of the International Center for Theoretical Physics, Triest, Italy
- Advisory Board of the Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Editorial Board of European Physical Journal C (Springer)
- Lilienfeld Prize Committee, 2008
- Sakurai Prize Committee of the American Physical Society, 2001
- "Noncommutativity: from Mathematics to Phenomenology," Bayrischzell, Germany, May 2-5, 2003.
- "Continuous Advances in QCD 2004" Minneapolis, May 13-15, 2004.
- “PNPI: Hadron Structure and QCD," St. Petersburg, Russia, May 2005.
- "QCD and String Theory", Benasque Center for Science, Spain, July 2 - July 14 2006.
- 3-D FENOMEC Workshop "Selected topics in Mathematical Physics", Cocoyoc, Mexico, November 10-12, 2005.
- "Quark Confinement and Hadron Spectrum" Sardinia, Italy, September 21-25 2004.
- "PNPI: Hadron Structure and QCD: from LOW to HIGH energies," Repino, Russia, 18-22 May 2004.
- "Quark Confinement and the Hadron Spectrum VII," Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal, 2-7 September 2006.
- "QCD and String Theory" at The Benasque Center for Science, Universitat de Barcelona and Universidad de Zaragoza, July 2-- 14, Benasque, Spain.
- "Frontiers in Theoretical Physics" NBI, Copenhagen, Denmark, July 3 - August 13, 2006.
- Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the Conference "CAQCD-06" FTPI, Minneapolis, May 2006.
- "QCD @ Work", Martina Franca, Italy, June 2007.
- "Fundamental Challenges of QCD,” Schladming, Austria, February 27-March 7, 2009.
- "Continuous Advances in Quantum Chromodynamics" (CAQCD_2011), FTPI.
- "Frontiers Beyond the Standard Model III" (FBSM III), FTPI.
- "Continuous Advances in QCD" (CAQCD_2013), FTPI.
- "Eleventh Conference on Quark Confinement and Hadronic Spectrum", St. Petersburg, Russia, 2014.
- "Twelth Conference on Quark Confinement and the Hadron Spectrum", Thessaloniki, Greece, 2016.
- QCD-2016, FTPI, May 2016.
- "Resurgent Asymptotics in Physics and Mathematics", KITP, October-December 2017
- "The Many Faces of the Superworld," 588 pp, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- "Continuous Advances in QCD 2002/Arkadyfest" published by World Scientific, Singapore in December 2002.
- The Supersymmetric World: the Beginnings of the Theory, 288 pp, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- At the Frontier of Particle Physics / Handbook of QCD, Vols. 1, 2, 3, and 4, 2550 pp, World Scientific, Singapore, 2001 and 2002.
- SUSY 30: Proceedings of the International Symposium Celebrating 30 Years of Supersymmetry, (Minneapolis, MN, USA, 13-27 October 2000), 449 pp, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 2001.
- Proceedings of “CAQCD-06” published by World Scientific, Singapore, 2007.
- Three-volume publication "FROM FIELDS TO STRINGS: CIRCUMNAVIGATING THEORETICAL PHYSICS," published by World Scientific, Singapore, 2005.
- “You just failed your math test, Comrade Einstein,” published by World Scientific, Singapore, 2005.
- "FELIX BEREZIN: Life and Death of the Mastermind of Supermathematics." published by World Scientific, Singapore, 2007.
- Under the Spell of Landau: When Theoretical Physics Was Shaping Destinies, 550pp, World Scientific, Singapore, 2013.
- Physics in A Mad World, 550 pp., World Scientific, Singapore, 2015.
Scientific & Professional Societies
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
- Fellow, American Physical Society
My career in High-Energy Theoretical Physics started in 1972. This was the time of the advent of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) and the Standard Model. I started working on them after I entered grad school of ITEP in late 1972. For 10-15 years this was the focus of my research efforts. I co-authored the penguin mechanism of weak non-leptonic decays, the so-called SVZ some rules -- the first analytic method for obtaining hadronic properties in QCD, the prediction of invisible axion, and many other results in this area. In the mid-1980 I delved in supersymmetric gauge theories where the first exact results in four dimensions were obtained. In particular, I co-authored the exact beta function in Yang-Mills theories (the NSVZ beta functions) from instanton calculus. Simultaneously, I got interested in the then nascent heavy quark theory in which I co-authored a number of important results in the framework of the heavy quad mass expansion (which was basically an extension of the SVZ theory). Since the late 1990s I am work on various aspects of supersymmetric solitons including a large number of new exact results. With Yung and others I co-discovered the so-called non-Abelian vortex strings and studied their properties and possible applications. Among my other interests are domain walls in various models, including supersymmetric Yang-Mills and two-dimensional models of the CP(N-1) type, large N expansions, renormalons, and so on. I published around 400 research papers in major journal, and several text-books for graduate students, e.g. "Advanced Topics in Quantum Fields Theory", Cambridge University Press, First Edition 2012, Second Edition, in preparation).
Honors and Awards
- Fulbright Distinguished Scholar, 2022
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, 2018
- Dirac Medal and Prize, 2016
- Pomeranchuk Prize, 2013
- Laureat of Chaires Internacionales de Recherche Blaise Pascal, 2007
- Lilienfeld Prize, 2006
- Ida Cohen Fine Chair in Theoretical Physics, 2005
- Sakurai Prize, 1999
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 1997
- von Humboldt Research Award, 1993
- M. Shifman, "Standing Together in Troubled Times" World Scientific, 2017
- M.Shifman and A.Yung, Critical String from Non-Abelian Vortex in Four Dimensions, Phys. Lett. B 750, 416 (2015). [abstract]
- M. Shifman, “Vacuum Structure and QCD Sum Rules”, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1992
- M.Shifman, “ITEP Lectures on Particle Physics and Field Theory”, Volume 1 and Volume 2, World Scientific, Singapore, 1999
- M. Shifman and A. Yung, “Supersymmetric Solitons”, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- M. Shifman, "Quantum Field Theory II. A Lecture Course", World Scientific, Singapore, 2019
- M. Shifman, “Advanced Topics in Quantum Field Theory: A Lecture Course”, Cambridge University Press, 2nd Edition, 2022
- M. Shifman, OPE-based Methods in Nonperturbative QCD: SVZ sum rules, 1/M_Q expansion, and all that, Invited Contribution to the Memorial Volume "50 Years of QCD" (2022)
- A. Cherman, T. Jacobson, M. Shifman, M. Unsal, and A. Vainshtein, Four-Fermi Deformations of the Massless Schwinger Model and Confinement, JHEP (2022)
- C. Naya, D. Schubring, M. Shifman, Z. Wang, Skyrmions and Hopfions in 3D Frustrated Magnets (2021)
- M. Shifman, Yang-Mills at Strong vs. Weak Coupling: Renormalons, OPE And All That (2021)
- D. Schubring, C.-H. Sheu, M. Shifman, Treating Divergent Perturbation Theory: Lessons from Exactly Solvable 2D Models at Large N, Phys. Rev. D 104, 085016 (2021)
- M. Shifman, Bringing Yang-Mills Theory Closer to Quasiclassics, Phys. Rev. D 104, 045002 (2021)
- M. Shifman, Supersymmetric Proximity (2020)
- M. Shifman, A. Vainshtein, Operator Product Expansion and Calculation of the Two-Loop Gell-Mann-Low Function (2020), Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 44, 321 (1986-not available online)
- S. Monin, M. Shifman and A. Yung, Non-Abelian String of a Finite Length, Phys. Rev. D 92, 025011 (2015)
- M. Shifman, A. Yung, Critical String from Non-Abelian Vortex in Four Dimensions, Phys. Lett. B 750 (2015)
- M. Shifman, Gianni Tallarita, A. Yung, ‘t Hooft-Polyakov Monopoles with Non-Abelian Moduli, Phys. Rev. D. 91, 105026 (2015)
- G. Dunne, M. Shifman, M. Ünsal, IR Renormalons vs. Operator Product Expansions in Supersymmetric and Related Gauge Theories, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 191601 (2015)
- M. Shifman, K. Stepanyantz, Derivation of the exact expression for the D function in N=1 SQCD, Phys. Rev. D. 91, 105008 (2015)
- M. Shifman, K. Stepanyantz, Exact Adler Function in Supersymmetric QCD, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 051601 (2015)
- J. Chen, X. Cui, M. Shifman, A. Vainshtein, N=(0, 2) Deformation of (2, 2) Sigma Models: Geometric Structure, Holomorphic Anomaly and Exact Beta Functions, Phys. Ref. D 90, 045014 (2014)
- M. Nitta, M. Shifman, W. Vinci, Non-Abelian Quasi-Gapless Modes Localized on Mass Vortices in Superfluid 3He-B, Phys. Rev. D87, (2013) 081702
- M. Shifman, A. Yung, Non-Abelian semilocal strings in N=2 supersymmetric QCD, Phys. Rev. D73 (2006) 125012
- M. Shifman, A. Yung, Non-Abelian String Junctions as Confined Monopoles, Rev. D70 (2004) 045004
- A. Armoni, M. Shifman, M. Ünsal, Planar limit of orientifold field theoriesand emergent center symmetry, Phys. Rev. D77, 045012 (2008)
- G. Dvali, G. Gabadadze, M. Shifman, Diluting Cosmological Constant in Infinite Volume Extra Dimensions, Physical Review D, 67, 044020 (2003)
- A. Armoni, M. Shifman, G. Veneziano, Exact Results in Non-Supersymmetric Large N Orientifold Field Theories, Nucl.Phys. B667 (2003) 170
- G. Dvali, M. Shifman, Families as Neighbors in Extra Dimension, Physics Letters B, 475, 295 (2000)
- J. Hisano, M. Shifman, Exact Results for Soft Supersymmetry Breaking Parameters in Supersymmetric Gauge Theories, Physical Review D, 56, 5475 (1997)
- G. Dvali, M. Shifman, Domain Walls in Strongly Coupled Theories, Physical Letters B, 396, 64 (1997)