Welcome to the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Minnesota!
Tate can be accessed from Church Street (accessibility entrance) and Northrop Mall. Building public hours are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
PAN can be accessed from Union St. Building public hours are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
East Bank Hotels
These hotels are within walking distance of the School.
- Graduate Minneapolis (.4 miles)
- Days Hotel University (.8 miles)
- Double Tree by Hilton (.8 miles)
- Hampton Inn & Suites (1 mile)
West Bank Hotels
These hotels are across the river from the School, however, during busy times of the year it may be necessary to use them.
The closest airport to the University of Minnesota is the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP). It is recommended that you book your flight one month in advance of your visit.
Getting to the University of Minnesota (UMN)
Once you land at the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP), you have several options you can take to get to the University of Minnesota (UMN).
- The Metro Transit Light Rail is the most efficient and cost effective mode of travel. It will cost $2.00 or $2.50 (rush hours) for a one-way ticket. The trains run every 10 - 15 minutes on weekdays and will get you to the UMN campus in about 30 minutes. From MSP, take the Blue Line north to US Bank Station. From there you will transfer to the Green Line and take that east to East Bank Station or Stadium Village Station. You can also download a PDF of the Metro Transit map.
Find more information on the Light Rail Transit page of the MSP website.
- Shuttle service is available from MSP, however the waits can be long and cost may be high at $20.00 - $73.00 depending on whether you share the ride or travel alone. To learn more see the Van and Shuttle service page of the MSP website.
- Taxi services are available at MSP, including Uber and Lyft. It will take approximately 30 - 60 minutes to get to campus depending on traffic and will cost between $25.00 - $60.00. Visit the Ground Transportation page of the MSP website for more information on app-based ride services.
- Car rental is not recommended. Parking around campus is limited and can be expensive.