Professor, School of Physics and Astronomy
Professor, School of Physics and Astronomy
My research is in the field of theoretical condensed matter physics. My goal is to understand properties of materials from fundamental microscopic basis. I am particularly interested in all kinds of phenomena observed in magnetic materials. In my work, I focus on developing and analyzing microscopic models of electronic systems with strong interplay between charge, spin, and orbital degrees of freedom, and geometric frustration. In particular, I am interested in understanding various unconventional quantum phases in correlated materials, e.g. quantum spin liquids. This is an exciting area of condensed matter physics with rapidly evolving fundamental concepts, discoveries of materials with intriguingly novel behaviors and high promise for useful applications.
U.S. Department of Energy, Award No. DE-SC0018056
National Science Foundation, Award No. DMR-1929311
Ph.D., Moscow State University, 1997
M.S., Moscow State University, 1994
Scientific & Professional Societies
Honors and Awards
Fellow, American Physical Society, 2016
Halloran, T., Wang, Y., Li, M., Rousochatzakis, I., Chauhan, P., Stone, M.B., Takayama, T., Takagi, H., Armitage, N.P., Perkins, N.B., Broholm, C. (2022). Magnetic excitations and interactions in the Kitaev hyperhoneycomb iridate β-Li2IrO3. Physical Review B. 106 (6), .
Yang, Y., Wang, Y., Rousochatzakis, I., Ruiz, A., Analytis, J.G., Burch, K.S., Perkins, N.B. (2022). Signatures of non-Loudon-Fleury Raman scattering in the Kitaev magnet β-Li2IrO3. Physical Review B. 105 (24), [L241101].
Shiralieva, A., Prokoshin, A., Perkins, N.B. (2021). Magnetoelastic effects in the hyperhoneycomb Kitaev spin liquid. Fizika Nizkikh Temperatur. 47 (9), [851-861].
Ruiz, A., Breznay, N.P., Li, M., Rousochatzakis, I., Allen, A., Zinda, I., Nagarajan, V., Lopez, G., Islam, Z., Upton, M.H., Kim, J., Said, A.H., Huang, X.R., Gog, T., Casa, D., Birgeneau, R.J., Koralek, J.D., Analytis, J.G., Perkins, N.B., Frano, A. (2021). Magnon-spinon dichotomy in the Kitaev hyperhoneycomb β-Li2IrO3. Physical Review B. 103 (18), .
Knolle, J., Moessner, R., Perkins, N.B. (2019). Bond-Disordered Spin Liquid and the Honeycomb Iridate H 3 LiIr 2 O 6: Abundant Low-Energy Density of States from Random Majorana Hopping. Physical review letters. 122 (4), .
Halász, G.B., Kourtis, S., Knolle, J., Perkins, N.B. (2019). Observing spin fractionalization in the Kitaev spin liquid via temperature evolution of indirect resonant inelastic X-ray scattering. Physical Review B. 99 (18), .
Rousochatzakis, I., Kourtis, S., Knolle, J., Moessner, R., Perkins, N.B. (2019). Quantum spin liquid at finite temperature: Proximate dynamics and persistent typicality. Physical Review B. 100 (4), .
Fu, J., Knolle, J., Perkins, N.B. (2018). Three types of representation of spin in terms of Majorana fermions and an alternative solution of the Kitaev honeycomb model. Physical Review B. 97 (11), .
Chern, G.W., Sizyuk, Y., Price, C., Perkins, N.B. (2017). Kitaev-Heisenberg model in a magnetic field: Order-by-disorder and commensurate-incommensurate transitions. Physical Review B. 95 (14), .
Torchinsky, D.H., Chu, H., Zhao, L., Perkins, N.B., Sizyuk, Y., Qi, T., Cao, G., Hsieh, D. (2015). Structural distortion-induced magnetoelastic locking in sr2iro4 revealed through nonlinear optical harmonic generation. Physical review letters. 114 (9), .
Perreault, B., Knolle, J., Perkins, N.B., Burnell, F.J. (2015). Theory of Raman response in three-dimensional Kitaev spin liquids: Application to β - comγpounds. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 92 (9), .
Sizyuk, Y., Price, C., Wölfle, P., Perkins, N.B. (2014). Importance of anisotropic exchange interactions in honeycomb iridates: Minimal model for zigzag antiferromagnetic order in Na2 IrO3. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 90 (15), .
Perkins, N.B., Sizyuk, Y., Wölfle, P. (2014). Interplay of many-body and single-particle interactions in iridates and rhodates. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 89 (3), .
Knolle, J., Chern, G.W., Kovrizhin, D.L., Moessner, R., Perkins, N.B. (2014). Raman scattering signatures of Kitaev spin liquids in A2IrO3 iridates with A=Na or Li. Physical review letters. 113 (18), .
Ducatman, S., Fernandes, R.M., Perkins, N.B. (2014). Theory of the evolution of magnetic order in Fe1+yTe compounds with increasing interstitial iron. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 90 (16), .
Perkins, N.B., Chern, G.W., Brenig, W. (2013). Raman scattering in a Heisenberg S=12 antiferromagnet on the anisotropic triangular lattice. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 87 (17), .
Stewart, M.K., Brownstead, D., Wang, S., West, K.G., Ramirez, J.G., Qazilbash, M.M., Perkins, N.B., Schuller, I.K., Basov, D.N. (2012). Insulator-to-metal transition and correlated metallic state of V 2O 3 investigated by optical spectroscopy. Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. 85 (20), .
- Yang Yang (2017 - current)
- Wen-Han Kao (2019 - current)
- Kexin Feng (2019 - current)
- Susmita Singh (2019 - current)
- Swetlana Swarup (2020-current)
Post Doctoral Researchers:
- Peter Panagiotis Stavropoulos (2021-current)
Former Researchers and Students
- Ioannis Rousochatzakis (2015-2018). Now Assistant Professor at Loughborough University, UK
- Gia-Wei Chern (2009-2012). Now Associate Professor at University of Virginia
- Mengqun Li (2016 - Ph.D. 2020). Now Quantitative Strategist at a high-frequency trading firm Virtu Financial
- Jianlong Fu (2016 - Ph.D. 2019). Now Postdoctoral Fellow Hong Kong University
- Yuriy Sizyuk (2012 - Ph.D. 2017). Postdoctoral Fellow Iowa State University (2017-2019) Now Scientist at Doty Scientific in South Carolina
- Samuel Ducatman (2011 - Ph.D. 2017). Now high school teacher of physics in Minneapolis
- Eunsong Choi, (2009 - Ph.D. 2015). Now Financial Software Developer at Bloomberg LP
- David Bosch (2017-2018). Now working at IntriCon Corporation
- Fulya Koc (2015-2016). Now Ph.D. student at Izmir Institute of Technology
- Chi-Huei Lin (2017-2018). Now working in semiconductor company TSNC, Taiwan
- Jake Novotny (2016-2017). Now working at NVE Corporation specialized on spintronics and nanotechnology
- Craig Price (2010-2012). Ph.D. at Penn State University in 2018. Now Scientist Principal at BAE Systems (London)
- Aysel Shiralieva (2020-2021). Now Master student at École normale supérieure (Paris)